Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oak Barrel Score!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Akavango
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just out of curiosity? How to you sanitise a wooden barrel?

Nice score!

3940L brewed since August 2011.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
SlapYoMomaBrew
Recipes 

From what I have read, sanitation is the same as if you were using wood chips. An acid based added to water. The steps of keeping the oak barrel water tight seems a bit of a pain though. I have never used barrels my self, though I do hope to at some point.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 387 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I don't think you can really "sanitize" a barrel. Typically winemakers will burn small sulfur sticks in them which will prevent them from getting infected but once a barrel is infected, I don't think there is any way to get it un-infected. Star-san will only soak so far into the wood but won't soak in as far as the infection does.

A new barrel, simply from being charred will be santized and if they are kept sealed up, they'll stay that way for a fair amount of time but you have to maintain it, like I was saying above, by either a sulfur stick or maybe keeping something like bourbon or other alchohol in it.

Keeping it water tight isn't a pain at all. You put liquid in it while keeping a some sort of tray or something underneath to catch the drips. It'll leak a bir for a short period of time but as soon as the wood gets wet, it'll start to expand and tighted up to the point it is water-tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've read a lot of things where folks fill it with 180 degree water to kill off anything at least on the surface.

As to water tightness, Cape is right, it's all about the moisture content in the wood. If the wood is wet, it's swollen and therefore it's a tight seal. If it dries out (which you're not supposed to let happen, but evidently you can correct it if you get one dry by re-filling it with water) the gaps form and it's leaky.

I was lucky, this batch was decommissioned and drain of whiskey on the 28th or 29th of May, so it hadn't dried out. I just filled it with 5 gallons of distilled water and some Jack.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Revvy, cool score on the dolly, good idea!
I've got a barrel on order and have a couple questions for you or anyone else out there:
1. What do you use to cover the hole - the included bung, or should you use an airlock incase the beer still ferments a bit?
2. How long for aging? I read somewhere that the small barrels impart a lot more oakyness due to the larger surface area compared to the liquid amount. One article said 1 month in a 5 gal barrel is about the same as a year in a 55. ???

Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

I think the "on the surface" is the issue... and just to be clear, if you have a barrel that has been taken care of properly and hasn't shown any real evidence of infection, absolutely... I think the hot water, perhaps a bit of star-san (although I would never put star-san in a barrel) or some liquor (what I normally do) would definitely work to keep it clean.

I think once a barrel is really funky though... I am pretty skeptical that you can re-claim it.

I have three 59 gallon french oak barrels in my basement I ferment with (one for a lambic and two for a RR Consecration clone) and those barrels are chock full o' bugs. I don't see anyone getting those bugs out of the barrels in any way. Once they're buggified, I really doubt they can then be used for any non-sours.

Then... all of that said... if a barrel is emptied and left with gunk in it just out to the elements, it'll go moldy and really nasty... and again, I'm really skeptical you could ever bring that barrel back to be used for anything. I have a 59 gallon bourbon barrel in my garage I just never got to use before it went way off... and I would never try to do anything with that barrel other than maybe chopping it up and using the chips in my smoker.

Quote:

Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdjshaw View Post
1. What do you use to cover the hole - the included bung, or should you use an airlock incase the beer still ferments a bit?
I would def use an airlock and stopper. Not all bung holes are the same size (that's a funny sentence) but a sizes 10-11 rubber stoppers usually fit the larger barrels.

Quote:
2. How long for aging? I read somewhere that the small barrels impart a lot more oakyness due to the larger surface area compared to the liquid amount. One article said 1 month in a 5 gal barrel is about the same as a year in a 55. ???
Depends on the beer and what you're really trying to acheive. I think the "1 month = 1 year" peice you saw has to do with oxygen absorbtion. The larger surface area to volume ratio will allow for dramatically more oxygen to leach through the wood and effect the beer (usually in good ways) but the "oakyness" will typically be driven by the level of char on the barrel and the underlying beer.

I'm not sure there is a solid rule of thumb other than simply trying tiny samples of the beer from time to time and seeing where it is at.

Quote:

Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #28
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Seasoning....I think the barrel is probably an early birthday present to myself. That and the Kegorator I'm building.
Hold on. Are you saying you might be converting to kegging soon??

Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How should these barrels be stored after use?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
How should these barrels be stored after use?
With distilled (or water you brought up to 180 degrees) in it, a little bourbon doesn't hurt. You never want it to dry out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply