LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Oak Barrel

Hey everyone... got a 3 gallon oak barrel and I have been aging my RIS and about to bottle. I have sulphur strips to keep the barrel clean while I'm waiting on my Barleywine to finish up. Anyone have any experience with the actual procedure of burning the sulphur inside the barrel and how its done correctly? thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Nobody?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
raymondim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just received a 5 gallon barrel and I was wondering the same thing. Would the sulfur strip effect my barley wine?

Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

I have used the sulphur strip with success! Just make sure the barrel doesnt dry out and try to prevent the sulphur strip from falling into the barrel when burning it. Its a pain in the butt to get out!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Before you go igniting a sulfur strip in a barrel, make sure you REALLY NEED TO fit your situation/barrel.

Read this document.

For small homebrewing barrels, and barrels that contain SPIRIT fumes, burning sulfur is NOT necessary unless you're opting for long term dry storage. If you're going to keep the barrel filled, even between batches, then 190 degree water, and water and spirits are sufficient.

I've had my 50th birthday barleywine in my barrel for a year, and I'm just going to do the hot water fill with bourbon after and get it filled with a new beer within a few weeks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply