Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > O2 Guage & Flow Meter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default O2 Guage & Flow Meter

I'm wanting to get a little more control over the amount of O2 I put in for fermentaion and was considering this:

Chemetron Medical Oxygen Regulator & Flow Meter

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chemetron-Medical-Oxygen-Regulator-Flow-Meter-/230466931368?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha sh=item35a8e64aa8

I posted the link since there seem to be enough of them to not start a bidding war. (please don't prove me wrong)

Right now I just have the simple regulator you get from the LHBS with no gauge or flow meter on it. The question is, will this work with the little red bottles you can get from the hardware store or will it only work on the bigger tanks? Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that is made for the bigger bottles. also, how much are you paying for the little bottles. you will make out in the long run getting a 20cuft(the 5 lb co2 size)or larger from a welding supply shop.

we sell them and to fill the small size its only like $12 or so.

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

btw thats an awesome price for that reg. the retail pruce of that is $100 or more

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
Bigscience
Recipes 

So do you think that could work out for brewing then, if I also got a bigger tank? I'd like to go with about a liter/min which looks like it's at the low end of the gauge. I also don't know how long it would take me to use up a whole 5lb tank either. (although I've heard it's good for a hangover)

Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
btw thats an awesome price for that reg. the retail pruce of that is $100 or more
Retail and real used value this is a wide spread in price range, good luck getting it.
To me a 215 cu/ft O2 welding bottle owner owned works for me, the hydro
alone is way less than the lease or refill of smaller bottles. All my bottles are Linde during the Hitler era still taking a +10% pressure overfill be it Hydrogen, O2, Nitrogen, Argon. A cheap investement after the initial cost in the long run vs any small bottle refills. Pay me now or pay me later my welding supply tells me for for over the past 35 years.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 05-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscience View Post
So do you think that could work out for brewing then, if I also got a bigger tank? I'd like to go with about a liter/min which looks like it's at the low end of the gauge. I also don't know how long it would take me to use up a whole 5lb tank either. (although I've heard it's good for a hangover)
I'd bet that it'll last a long time. Once upon a time, I was a paramedic, and even at high flow rates, the 5# tanks would last a quite a while. I never timed how long, but we didn't fill them all that often, and they were usually used with NRB (Non- Rebreather) masks, which used at least 10 lpm.

And yes, O2 does help a little with hangovers. But if you want the ultimate hangover cure, a liter of Lactated Ringers is what you need. Start an IV of that, lay back with a NRB @ 10 lpm, and within 10 minutes, you're perfectly fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The Timeter group mnufactures a medical .5 to 15 LPM, model #ULO-15 calibrated at 50 PSI. I use this unit with a stone off a welding O2 bottle for years adding O2 to the fermenter. New and free hence a feel good everytime I use it. Gifts of the electrical trade on remodels.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeerbrewer View Post
I'd bet that it'll last a long time. Once upon a time, I was a paramedic, and even at high flow rates, the 5# tanks would last a quite a while. I never timed how long, but we didn't fill them all that often, and they were usually used with NRB (Non- Rebreather) masks, which used at least 10 lpm.

And yes, O2 does help a little with hangovers. But if you want the ultimate hangover cure, a liter of Lactated Ringers is what you need. Start an IV of that, lay back with a NRB @ 10 lpm, and within 10 minutes, you're perfectly fine.
Try and fill a medical bottle for home brewing without a doctors prescription for medical O2 your screwed. I've thrown away and given away over 50 of those small bottles vs using a welding bottle, fermenting yeast doesn't know the differennce, your wallet does.

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 05-02-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
Bigscience
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeerbrewer View Post

Because when I'm hungover, I really believe I can find a vein for an IV. I guess I should have married a Dr or at least a phlebotomist. I still don't understand how people can shoot up. I hate needles like B.A. hates flying.

I bit the bullet and dropped the $28 on the system. We'll see how it works out. I also have a bid out on a lot of flow meters too. There may be a good deal for some HBTers out there soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Chemetron-Medical-Oxygen-Float-Flow-Meters-/220596238857?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha sh=item335c8f7a09

Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

By just looking at the bubbles coming off the stone you can set your O2 flow
amount rather close, hell even a spare Tig or Mig ball flow meter works just allow for the slight difference with the differet gasses and make a note. One medical O2 flow meter is all I have as I gave away the other four to brewing friends. It's not rocket science just need an adaptor from your Tig to O2 regulator, set the LPM at the required 50 psi of these O2 flow meters. The battle just started I see that ebay item at $20 plus, wait until the last 10 seconds and see the dollar amount, I bet in the $60 plus range.

Quick Reply