Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Now brewing Lagers in my NYC Apartment! (Blichmann conical in Chest Freezer)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
nickharbour
Troll
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Now brewing Lagers in my NYC Apartment! (Blichmann conical in Chest Freezer)

I just received my new chest freezer and had to mod it a bit, but it works! I use blichmann 7gal conicals and the freezer is a Danby DCF550W1 5.5 cu.ft. Chest Freezer. If you're scouting a similar solution i'd try to find one that was a few inches taller, though I had a tough time. 5 cubic feet will be plenty pretty much whatever dimensions as long as you have enough height.

pics attached. The second one shows the little bit I had to dig out of the top insulation to get it to close over the blichmann's pressure weight and blowoff.

Sorry if this post seems obvious, but I didn't find a lot of pics and reference stuff out there for people lagering with these conicals so I figured I'd share it.

2012-08-30-15.12.37.jpg   2012-08-30-15.46.43.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Doctor_M

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Just curious as I've always wondered this, do you rack your beer from your boil kettle while the conical is already in the freezer or do you fill then lift conical full of beer and place inside. How about when its time to dump trub and rack the beer to bottles / keg. I would think it would be sort of heavy and awkward having to lift it in/ out while full.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
nickharbour
Troll
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I need to get a furniture mover but the easiest solution would be to put the empty vessel in the freezer and transfer the beer there from the boil kettle. I'll probably just hoist it for now. The blichmann has fly out handles that make it easier to heave. For trub dumping I should be able to do that right in the freezer as there is a decent amount of room in there. For transferring the beer out if you really didn't want to lift and let gravity work you can hook up CO2 to the conical and push the beer out!

Quick Reply