Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > non-copper wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Comos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default non-copper wort chiller

I know copper is prefered for wort chillers. Is there something i can use to substitute that isn't as costly without putting a batch at risk?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

well.. copper is preferred because it draws out the heat best.. if you can find a cheaper heat-cunductable metal, go for it.. but copper is the best out there..

Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

How about I sell you my old one really cheap? You're not going to find aluminum or stainless tubing for less than copper as far as I know. If you're interested, let me know your town/zip and I'll quote you a price.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Copper also has anti-bacterial properties that make it safer to shoot beer through than other metals. SO it's not just better for temperature reasons, it is safer.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

If you were hoping to use something cheap like PVC, plastics won't work at all.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Adrian Abascal
Recipes 

You don't need all the wter to make your wort. You can make your wort with half the needed water. All you have to do is freeze the other half and add it to your wort when hot it will cool it much faster then copper and it is viritually free.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Adrian is right assuming you are still brewing on malt extract. Since I know you have a converted keg kettle, it sounds like you're trying to progress to all grain (AG) at which time doing a partial boil is impossible.

Note; make sure you sanitize whatever sealed container you freeze your water in if you try the ice addition trick.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Comos
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

would only boiling half and then adding the water from the freezer after have any effect on the outcome of the beer? Seems like all the flavors wouldn't mesh as well. I might be thinking about it in an odd way.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Many people brew this way. You have to adjust the bittering to compensate for the higher gravity of the boil, but it works.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #10
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comos
would only boiling half and then adding the water from the freezer after have any effect on the outcome of the beer? Seems like all the flavors wouldn't mesh as well. I might be thinking about it in an odd way.
You could do it and as David said, you'll have to increase the hops to compensate, but if you've made the jump to a keggle, why chince on the important things. Yes, the copper will probably run you about $40 or $50 depending on what you want to build, but it's the best material to use and you will be much happier with it. I'd skip brewing a batch or two and put that money towards the copper. If you know anyone in construction, you could always ask them to keep a lookout for you. My neighbor got me 50 feet of 3/8 copper and it cost me a case of beer and a Saturday to wire up his basement. Where there's a will, there's a beer.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Quick Reply