Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > No Stab Lok 50/60A, 2 pole breakers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #11
TheAleMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Whoops. Sorry about that. HomeDepot.com won't ship to Canada? It has to come from HomeDepot.ca?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAleMaster View Post
Whoops. Sorry about that. HomeDepot.com won't ship to Canada? It has to come from HomeDepot.ca?

I just phoned them to ask, and no, they don't ship to Canada. I guess that makes sense because if they actually did ship here, then they couldn't have their physical store sell the same merchandise at 5X the price. There's a method to price gouging.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I installed my own main panel a few months back. I do all my own electrical work. I would never bond the neutral to ground anywhere except in the main panel. My concern is not with installation, it's with cost alone.
I see.
Would it not be cheaper to install a sub that uses less costly and more available breakers? You could cut back on the expensive wire by placing the sub near the main. That way you'd have a hundred amps to play with.

Of course that means you'd need a 100 amp breaker that fit the main.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
I see.
Would it not be cheaper to install a sub that uses less costly and more available breakers? You could cut back on the expensive wire by placing the sub near the main. That way you'd have a hundred amps to play with.

Of course that means you'd need a 100 amp breaker that fit the main.

I'll probably install a Stab Lok 'Spa Buddy' which is a 50A sub panel. New it costs about $230 without shipping, taxes, or cabling but it comes with a standard 50A breaker for the main panel and a GFCI breaker for the sub. I just need to verify that I can install two 30A and one 10A breaker in the panel. I'd also like to get a good deal from eBay rather than paying full price. I have a bit of time because the brew room build only starts this weekend.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Okay, I have a solution to my problem. I phoned the electrical supplier I usually deal with and told him what I wanted. He asked, "What company are you with?" I told him that this was for a home project and then described what the project is. You'd be surprised how co-operative men can be when you tell them you're building an elaborate brewing rig.

So then he asks, "I understand this is for yourself, but where DO you work?" I told him, and since it's a major company well established in the electrical field he said, "Well, that will save you quite a bit!" I guess I get the company discount. No conflict of interest if I disclose that the parts are for personal use, right?

So the bill will be around $220 for a new 60A Stab Lok breaker that feeds a Square D spa panel with a 60A GFCI breaker. The panel apparently has capacity for two more two pole breakers. I'll need to buy about 20 feet or so of 6 gauge cable and conduit to hook it up. Also, since the panel can only accommodate two other two pole breakers, I'll have to feed my miscellaneous circuits off another single pole circuit. I already have an in-line GFCI for my March pump.

I'll be picking up the panel later this week.

Quick Reply