Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > No Stab Lok 50/60A, 2 pole breakers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default No Stab Lok 50/60A, 2 pole breakers?

I'm starting to get discouraged with my electric brew build. I can't find any 50 or 60 amp GFCI Stab Lok breakers (Federal Pioneer), and in fact I can't even find a reference to them. It seems that they don't exist. So I'm looking at the prospect of buying a regular 2 pole breaker and feeding a panel that has three or more other GFCI breakers. I can't see being able to do that for less than $300. This is on top of all the rest of the electrical equipment necessary for the build.

So am I stuck with a massively expensive electric service for the rig, or am I off base?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've been looking up prices of new Stab Lok GFCI breakers and I now have to revise my estimate to about $800 JUST FOR THE FREAKIN' SERVICE!! That's not labor, burners, electronics or anything else. I think the new brew room may be coming to a dead halt.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I feel your pain. I changed my service to a 200 amp Siemens service panel. I had a 150 amp Federal Pacific panel with the stab lock breakers.

You might have to use 2 breakers and pull two service wires if you have positions open in your panel.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I JUST changed my panel to a brand new Federal Pioneer. About three months ago. I had no idea that I couldn't get the breakers I need now. As far as two or more breakers, that appears to be my only remaining option and accounts for my revised estimate of over $800. I suppose I could reduce that if I buy just one 30A breaker to feed both HLT and BK elements. I really wanted the option of keeping my sparge water hot while sparging and starting the boil. DAMMIT!!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
kezgin
Recipes 

any reason you can't just use a regular breaker to feed a hot tub gfci panel?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'm with kezgin. It looks like $200 US for a Stab Lok 50A breaker and a 50A GFCI load center. I don't think there's a cheaper option.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezgin View Post
any reason you can't just use a regular breaker to feed a hot tub gfci panel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
I'm with kezgin. It looks like $200 US for a Stab Lok 50A breaker and a 50A GFCI load center. I don't think there's a cheaper option.
That's exactly what the new plan was to be, but the GFCI breakers were well over $200 each, so with the regular 50A breaker, 6 gauge cable, and load center that's where I got the $800 figure. If you guys know where I can get a breaker and load center for $200 I'll hoist one in your honor.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
TheAleMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Federal Pacific Stab Lok Circuit Breakers + GE 50 Amp GFI Spa Panel = under $100 (if you don't count taxes or shipping)

I just did a quick Google search on Stab Loks, too. You may be able to find them cheaper.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

put in a sub panel it is really very easy.

That way you can use whatever breakers you have handy in your local electrical supply whether it's the borg or a specialty place.

Run the sub off a 100 amp breaker with #4 wire.

Don't bond the neutral to ground in the sub panel, make the ground and neutral separate back to the main panel.
If the sub box comes with a bonded neutral break that bond.

You panel sounds like it was installed by one of those guys who like to use weird equipment to force you to go back to them.

I know painters who paint with custom blended colors to make sure that you can't do any fix jobs yourself or hire any one else.
for example: When they paint a white ceiling they always use a certain amount of black and gold in the white paint. it's still white paint, but you'll never replicate it yourself and no other painter will either 'cause they don't know the amounts used. You gotta call the original painter or just re paint the whole thing.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAleMaster View Post
Federal Pacific Stab Lok Circuit Breakers + GE 50 Amp GFI Spa Panel = under $100 (if you don't count taxes or shipping)

I just did a quick Google search on Stab Loks, too. You may be able to find them cheaper.
You missed the fact that I'm in Canada. Here's the same search done here:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10 051&langId=-15&N=0&Ntk=level1&Ntt=GE%2050%20Amp%20Spa%20Panel% 20with%20GFI%20&Nty=1&D=GE%2050%20Amp%20Spa%20Pane l%20with%20GFI%20&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode +matchallpartial&s=true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
put in a sub panel it is really very easy.

That way you can use whatever breakers you have handy in your local electrical supply whether it's the borg or a specialty place.

Run the sub off a 100 amp breaker with #4 wire.

Don't bond the neutral to ground in the sub panel, make the ground and neutral separate back to the main panel.
If the sub box comes with a bonded neutral break that bond.

You panel sounds like it was installed by one of those guys who like to use weird equipment to force you to go back to them.

I know painters who paint with custom blended colors to make sure that you can't do any fix jobs yourself or hire any one else.
for example: When they paint a white ceiling they always use a certain amount of black and gold in the white paint. it's still white paint, but you'll never replicate it yourself and no other painter will either 'cause they don't know the amounts used. You gotta call the original painter or just re paint the whole thing.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I installed my own main panel a few months back. I do all my own electrical work. I would never bond the neutral to ground anywhere except in the main panel. My concern is not with installation, it's with cost alone.

Doing it for under $100 is not an option, but I may be able to do it for under $300 if I'm patient. I can pick up a breaker on eBay for about $50 and I may have to bond it to a Siemens panel because for some reason their GFCI breaker appear to be cheaper and more plentiful. I found one of these http://cgi.ebay.ca/60-AMP-GFCI-LOAD-CENTER-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-GFI-SIEMENS-NEW_W0QQitemZ170378924391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item27ab601167
on eBay but it doesn't indicate how many breakers it can accommodate.

Quick Reply