No shutoff on regulator :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyphoxx

Reaction score
Got a Cornelius brand regulator on eBay and I have a question. It claims to have a co2 check valve, but it doesn't have a shutoff. Do I need to buy a shutoff before force carbing? If no, will the check valve prevent liquid from coming back up into the regulator? I'm new at legging and just want to do it right. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402424283.456414.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd get a shutoff valve for safety's sake. You can get one at homebrew store for about $12-$15. Just unscrew the small gas output nipple on the bottom(after you let out pressure relief valve and disconnect from the tank and lines) and put a new shutoff valve in it, then nipple on bottom of new shutoff. While you have the nipple off, check for a backfill safety-if you can see light through it, there ain't one there. I'd bring the whole thing into your LHBS to help and make sure you have everything good. Sucks when you have to go back because you forgot something.

The brass fitting at the bottom is a check valve unless someone removed it a put in a nipple that is not a check valve. I have some that are and aren't check valves and they look the same to me.

As WWJPD said, if you can see light through that part then it is not a check valve.

I have two regulators and neither one has a shut off. One of my regulators has a manifold that providers the shut offs. My other regulator has one of these connectors that acts as a shut off if I remove my hose.

I just shut off the CO2 at the tank when it's not in use.

Back