Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The No-Leak MLT bulkhead design

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
conpewter,

how long of a nipple did you use on the conversion where you cut away in the outer shell?
Hmm with that build I actually used the spigot that you'd find on a bottling bucket. I had it sitting around already and the hose I was planning on using for transfer fits on it very nice. I've retired that mash tun for the most part, I bought out a guy getting out of the hobby and got a 10 gal round cooler, it just fits better into my setup.

My next brew will be using both coolers though, I can't fit the grain bill in the 10 gal cooler, this is for a 5 gal batch!

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
yeastbound
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
First, having the inside (and only) Oring sitting on the nipple flat doesn't require any huge buildup of teflon tape to keep liquid from getting past the Oring through the threads.
I'm going to ask what's probably a really stupid question here, but does this statement suggest that no teflon tape is necessary on the inside threads, or just not a ton of it?

I've been trying to get this exact setup not to leak with no success. I'm just trying to eliminate potential points of failure.
Upcoming: Something for us to drink, dammit.

http://yeastbound.com

Old 08-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If it's setup just right, with the oring touching the flat of the nipple and the cooler wall, it shouldn't leak. If the Oring is over any threads at all, it will leak without teflon tape. The only solution there is to pack the threads.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bobby,

This is the same setup I have on my cooler minus the pvc piping. That is an excellent addition and seems to solve the issue of reinforcement for the whole unit. If we explore that area more I bet we could make it even better. What about using a 2"-3" disc of HDPE?

1) Insert it into the wall of the cooler (don't know what the best way would be yet).

2) Use some expanding foam (or something else) to fill in the gaps.

3) Drill out a hole of the appropriate diameter for the piping.

Continue with the rest of the design as laid out.

- JVD_X

Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
Derek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD_X View Post
Bobby,

This is the same setup I have on my cooler minus the pvc piping. That is an excellent addition and seems to solve the issue of reinforcement for the whole unit. If we explore that area more I bet we could make it even better. What about using a 2"-3" disc of HDPE?

1) Insert it into the wall of the cooler (don't know what the best way would be yet).

2) Use some expanding foam (or something else) to fill in the gaps.

3) Drill out a hole of the appropriate diameter for the piping.

Continue with the rest of the design as laid out.
I like this design, but the inner wall of the coleman 'xtreme' does seem a little weak for all of the load.

I'm considering cutting a piece out of the bottom, then sliding a spacer up between the walls. I was thinking of using wood because it would be easy to shape. The wood shouldn't get any moisture, but if it did, the bottom would be open to dry out.

Plastic might be a better idea, but it might be easier to shape wood (and maybe conform to any residual insulation on the wall, without creating pressure points).

Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
frogfree
Recipes 

If you use a cooler for an MLT, here's a cheap and easy method that doesn't leak.

Run a tube through a drilled rubber stopper.
Plug the stopper in the hole.
Install an inline valve outside of the cooler.

This is Denny's idea. Look at the "Cooler Detail" section of his page. dennybrew

Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #17
Derek
Recipes 

I'd "like something a little snazzier" than Denny's design.

I do see one problem with the coleman 'xtreme'. The space between the walls is really thick, and even with a 2" nipple, I don't think I could get the o-ring off the threads & onto the smooth part.

If I spaced it out (#2 washers in diagram), I don't think there would be enough thread outside for the ball valve (which needs a spacer for handle clearance). Maybe it would work with a different ball valve...

Canadian source for nipples longer than 2.5":
https://www.pieco.ca/

Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
JVD_X

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfree View Post
If you use a cooler for an MLT, here's a cheap and easy method that doesn't leak.

Run a tube through a drilled rubber stopper.
Plug the stopper in the hole.
Install an inline valve outside of the cooler.

This is Denny's idea. Look at the "Cooler Detail" section of his page. dennybrew
After about 10 brews with the coleman cooler extreme, the whole valve area gets flimsy. As Bobby_M has pointed out through his design - something to firm up the walls is needed.

- JVD_X

Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #19
Derek
Recipes 

Okay, I cut a slot in the bottom of the xtreme & removed the insulation from around the recessed area. {There's not turning back now!}

I think I could wedge a spacer in there, but I'm wondering if it would be better to just fill that whole section with something that'll harden up? Fibre glass resin? (I'm not sure how much it heats up as it sets)? Epoxy resin? Any other options that are considered food safe?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:08 AM   #20
JVD_X

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was thinking fiberglass resin as well.

- JVD_X

Quick Reply