Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > No hassle MLT + HLT Combo Cooler (Will it Work?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So how is this different than a typical mashtun? I'm obviously missing something here. Are you sparging with wort that has already been pulling from the grains?

Edit: Oh...it's a RIMS system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Premnasbiaculeatus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsslack View Post
Pretty sweet, let us know what kind of efficiency you are able to get out of that system.
My First Run I got 79%

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That flotec pump is not food grade as far as I can tell.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Seems like an excellent idea.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
mendesm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

It's basically a rims setup, without the tube.

With a rims system, you're going to have better control of the temperature and no hot spots.

With the temp sensor the way you have it, if you don't implement a manifold to evenly distribute the heated wort over the grain bed you're going to be developing hot spots as you'll be measuring the temperature only at the spot where the sensor is located and other areas in the grain bed can get colder or hotter.

If the temp sensor reads too low, the element is going to apply more heat. If that heat wort is sent back to the tun but away from where the temp sensor is, the setup will develop a much hotter spot where the work is coming back in until the temperature spreads over to the temp sensor. It's pretty much analogous to building a rims where the temp sensor is placed before the element in the tube.

Rims takes that possibility away by measuring the wort temp just as it has been heated by the element.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the temp sensor reads low and the element overheats the work to compensate, you'll end up with denatured proteins before your grain bed reaches the appropriate temperature. Once proteins are denatured, there is no process to revert that. You may end up with beer in the end, but you may have problems with obtaining your desired body profile.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesm View Post
It's basically a rims setup, without the tube.

With a rims system, you're going to have better control of the temperature and no hot spots.

With the temp sensor the way you have it, if you don't implement a manifold to evenly distribute the heated wort over the grain bed you're going to be developing hot spots as you'll be measuring the temperature only at the spot where the sensor is located and other areas in the grain bed can get colder or hotter.

If the temp sensor reads too low, the element is going to apply more heat. If that heat wort is sent back to the tun but away from where the temp sensor is, the setup will develop a much hotter spot where the work is coming back in until the temperature spreads over to the temp sensor. It's pretty much analogous to building a rims where the temp sensor is placed before the element in the tube.

Rims takes that possibility away by measuring the wort temp just as it has been heated by the element.
You can do this with a direct fire RIMS, too. You just need to keep the temperature probe down in the space under the false bottom.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

mendesm Likes This 
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

I should mention that I ultimately mounted the temp sensor in the bottom half, and not in the grain bed as indicated by the preliminary drawing.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

This is a no-sparge, electrically heated RIMS system which is similar to the commercially available http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/T...ster:_:21.html. The only real difference is that the braumeister is more like a BIAB system because the wort is also boiled in the same vessel.

The only real downside to a no sparge system is diminished efficiency as the OG goes up.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
This is a no-sparge, electrically heated RIMS system which is similar to the commercially available http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/T...ster:_:21.html. The only real difference is that the braumeister is more like a BIAB system because the wort is also boiled in the same vessel.

The only real downside to a no sparge system is diminished efficiency as the OG goes up.
This is also homemade for a mere $380, and larger than their 50L model, which is over 2000 euros (close $2,7000USD). My False bottom space is comparable in size to the portion above the divider that holds the grain bed, my pump is also moving close to the entire volume of liquid through the grain bed every 3 minutes and the grain is in an almost constantly fluidized state. I think this might be one of the reasons I'm getting much higher efficiency than I've ever had with BIAB.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Just to be sure, I wasn't suggesting someone would be better off buying the Speidel rather than build one. I was just classifying the system type and offering up an example of a commercial unit for those playing along.

Quick Reply