Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Next Step in Evolution? Kegs? 10 Gal? All Grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
ManhattanProjectBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

All Grain then 10 Gallons THEN Kegging IMO....

Master the AG first then increase yield to make it worth your while then make it easy with kegging. Just my $.02

Cheers,

-JM

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I would agree to go with a 15 gallon pot,you can still do 5 gallon batches and have the ability to do 10 gallon if you want.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
zeptrey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanProjectBrewing
All Grain then 10 Gallons THEN Kegging IMO....

Master the AG first then increase yield to make it worth your while then make it easy with kegging. Just my $.02

Cheers,

-JM
Yeah, I am making the mistake currently of trying to do all three...whew...it's taking forever to amass equipment. It also is taking up its fair share of dough. Do it in stages or get a buddy that's into brewing to get something you both could use and then when its your turn buy/DIY something you both could use.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Full wort boil is the first upgrade I would make.

Then focus all your attention on fermentation. Yeast starters, stirplate, temp control, etc... Any idiot can make wort. Great beer is made in the fermentation.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks. Sounds like the 15-gallon kettle is the way to go. Of course, if I ever get to it, I'll have to start thinking about how to MOVE all this stuff - I don't have a dedicated brewing location that I could build a cascade system in.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #16
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 19

A turkey fryer is a great cheap way to get to 5 gallon batches either all grain or full boil extract/partial mash. It's what I started with and am still using after 4 years. When I go to 10 gallon batches I guess I'll be out 0$ since I got it from my father-in-law for nothing. Even if I had paid for it I'd be out what, $50? You just have to be ok with using aluminum and Fermcap.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #17
Hmmessman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started out small and ended up wasting a lot of money on duplicate equipment. I would get a good burner and a fifteen gallon stainless kettle. You can do easy five gallon full boils and if you are good 10 gallon. I have had my share of boil overs. If you plan to move up you can use your 15 gallon as your hlt and get a 20 gal mt and bk. If not you aren't out much because the difference in price is negligible. I had good luck with blichmann burners. And a bayou classic bk.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Many turkey fryer burners come with 8-9 gallon pots. They are pretty affordable to start doing 5 gallon batches outdoors. So that could get you started on 5 gallon all-grain immediately.

If your wort chiller is sufficient for chilling 5.5-6 gallons then great! Otherwise get a better chiller too.

After that, I would focus on yeast health and fermentation temps. I jumped to kegging first and am now trying to master yeast and fermentation and I wish I had done it the other way around. It's easy enough to start doing yeast starters and get a cheap mini-fridge you can ferment in at proper temps with a temp controller.

Make sure you scour Craigslist and eBay and garage sales for stuff you can use too. I got my first chest freezer on CL for $40.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Alright - I've been studying up on 15-gallon kettles. Right now it looks like a pre-drilled Midwest heavy duty, a welded heavy duty MoreBeer, or a Bayou Classic are my best bets cost vs. performance-wise.

I willl probably have Midwest pre drill my kettle, getting the bung hole (heheh, he said bung hole) as low as possible, causing less waste in my most likely 5-gallon batches.

The MoreBeer is welded, totally diesel. Some reviews say that the bottom hole is too high off the bottom of the kettle to efficiently brew 5-gallon batches. Also, do you have to worry about the welds rusting?

Bayou Classic - seems like some people love 'em, some hate them - seems like most complaints revolve around threading issues (looking for one that has pre-installed fittings).

What's everyone's opinions on these?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1643 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Purchasing coastal property in antarctica so that subterranian self cooled fermenters and off coast Lagering fermenters can be used year round.

Mine is 4.5 billion gallons and extends well beyond my property lines (under ground).

Quick Reply