Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Newbie question: Can I use a 50L keg to home brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 12:46 AM   #1
aj3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie question: Can I use a 50L keg to home brew?

I have a setup for dispensing brewery kegs (50 litre) - I think in America they are referred to as Full Barrell(??). My setup involves a CO2 bottle, a regulator, a US Sankey connector and a dispensing gun.

After a couple keg parties, I also have 2 empty kegs lying around and I was wondering if I could use them to home brew, or if I will need to purchase the more slender ones? I imagine it has been tried, it is possible?

Any info would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 12:18 AM   #2
Monkey Knife Fight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I'm not quite sure what kind of keg you mean but the ~15 gallon (~50L) 1/2 barrel kegs are ideal for brewing. They are about 16" in diameter if i remember. Just be sure to get cookers that are big and beefy enough to hold them securly. We eventually found some really perfect one for those kegs...i'll see if i can remember where. The only real limitation is the diameter of the kegs so they can fit on some sort of burner. 15 gallon kegs are perfect for 10-12 gallon batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply