Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #951
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltroha View Post
You can do this into a bucket, then funnel into a carboy. You will not risk infection with chilled wort, you will only be adding need oxygen!
I actually did transfer via gravity from by boil kettle to my hlt (after I sanitized it) through my 300micron filter. It caught a lot of the hot break but was a slow process since the filter was getting clogged. I ran the tube up and down the inside of the filter to remove some of the hot break from the sides and it flowed a lot better.

Something I noticed though... Not sure if it was because it was an extract or more because no whirlfloc was used but the hot break was a much finer almost gritty mixture instead of larger cottage cheese like clumps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #952
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltroha View Post
You can do this into a bucket, then funnel into a carboy. You will not risk infection with chilled wort, you will only be adding need oxygen!
how can you say he won't be risking infection with chilled wort? cool wort is very infection-prone: that's why we want to cool it ASAP, pitch yeast ASAP, and then lock it away in a sealed bucket or carboy: to prevent infection. plastic buckets can get scratches that are hard to sanitize and bugs can hide in those crevasses. there are all sorts of wild yeast and bacteria floating in the air.

i'm pretty sure the risk of infection is relatively low, but you can't say that there isn't any risk at all. your point about aeration is a good one.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #953
JoesInBoston
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklueber View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the Keg Dry Hopper. I bought one but haven't used it yet. The glass carboy dry hopper I have used, but with pellet hops. It did a pretty good job, as we have a great hop aroma and taste in the Rye IPA that we brewed about a month ago.
I have the carboy hopper, not the keg hopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
Neat, that was the 300 mesh on the spider?

I wonder if you did the hot break first before adding hops that it wouldn't clog later on filtering to the kettle.
Yes, it was the 300 micron.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #954
JoesInBoston
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post
I actually did transfer via gravity from by boil kettle to my hlt (after I sanitized it) through my 300micron filter. It caught a lot of the hot break but was a slow process since the filter was getting clogged. I ran the tube up and down the inside of the filter to remove some of the hot break from the sides and it flowed a lot better.

Something I noticed though... Not sure if it was because it was an extract or more because no whirlfloc was used but the hot break was a much finer almost gritty mixture instead of larger cottage cheese like clumps.
If you have a helper with you, you can have them take a large sanitized spoon and stir around in the filter while you monitor the siphon/transfer tubing. That worked best to minimize clogging for me.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #955
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
how can you say he won't be risking infection with chilled wort? cool wort is very infection-prone: that's why we want to cool it ASAP, pitch yeast ASAP, and then lock it away in a sealed bucket or carboy: to prevent infection. plastic buckets can get scratches that are hard to sanitize and bugs can hide in those crevasses. there are all sorts of wild yeast and bacteria floating in the air.

i'm pretty sure the risk of infection is relatively low, but you can't say that there isn't any risk at all. your point about aeration is a good one.
Transferring it from kettle to bucket to carboy will not be risking infection, also what about whirlpooling and siphoning? That takes much longer.

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #956
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Can anyone tell me how many oz of leaf hops will fit in like a 6"x10" hop spider?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #957
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
Can anyone tell me how many oz of leaf hops will fit in like a 6"x10" hop spider?
Not sure, but why would you want to do this? I think the main use for the spider is to keep the finer hop pellet gunk out of your carboy. For leaf, a simple bazooka tube works well as long as it doesn't get clogged. If you whirlpool and have the tube or pickup off to the side, seems that would be a better solution. I would think you could get half a pound in it, but have not done any tests to see. Not trying to rain on your parade either!

Cheers!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #958
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
Not sure, but why would you want to do this? I think the main use for the spider is to keep the finer hop pellet gunk out of your carboy. For leaf, a simple bazooka tube works well as long as it doesn't get clogged. If you whirlpool and have the tube or pickup off to the side, seems that would be a better solution. I would think you could get half a pound in it, but have not done any tests to see. Not trying to rain on your parade either!

Cheers!
That's the point of a hop spider - to be able to remove the hops from the kettle. In addition, I don't whirlpool, I don't have a bazooka screen, whatever that is, and I don't have a tangential inlet.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #959
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer

Cheers!
That's what I use for my leaf hop brews, and it's definitely the best plan. You can dump a ton of hops in and I've never had a clog. What's more, the bed of leaf hops act as a filter and all the break material seems to stick to them. The only problem is that they soak up a serious quantity of wort. I will remedy that by scooping them over to the side of the kettle and pressing the wort out with a sanitized stainless slotted spoon.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #960
ziggityz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's 4 pictures from my zombie dust brew day. This is a 6x10" 400 micron filter inside a megapot, my immersion chiller fit juuuuust inside next to it.

forumrunner_20130513_192330.jpg

forumrunner_20130513_192404.jpg

forumrunner_20130513_192440.jpg

forumrunner_20130513_192421.jpg

There was about a 4" hop trub cake after 3.5 oz of hops I put into the filter. Overall, I am super impressed, I think the 400 is perfect for a setup with an IC.

Quick Reply