Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #941
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Travestian's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 465
Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
I have both 300 and 400 micron, but the small one is 400. I have chugger pumps w/ SS heads. What pump were you thinking of using?
I wasn't sure exactly but I don't need anything too crazy as I'm only going to be using it for post chill pumping. I did a little research last night but I'm not sold on anything yet. The less expensive it is the better for this particular purpose I think.
__________________
Travestian is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #942
grathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,744
Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Keg dry hop filter:
anyone use this while carbing?
anyone used it while serving?


Is there any hop oils left on a hop after its been boiling for 20 minutes? I know isomerzation is still happening, but are all the alpha acids free-floating at this point? I wonder if I could take a basket out, dump the hop gunk, wash it off, and then recirculate and use it as a break filter...

__________________
grathan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #943
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Travestian's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 465
Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
Is there any hop oils left on a hop after its been boiling for 20 minutes? I know isomerzation is still happening, but are all the alpha acids free-floating at this point? I wonder if I could take a basket out, dump the hop gunk, wash it off, and then recirculate and use it as a break filter...
That is kind of the idea I had also and intend to use in my next boil only I'll remove the filter after the boil is over. Any last 5 minute additions I'll put in the boil itself. After the chill I'll be attempting this method.

I have a pump on the way now but won't have it by tomorrow when I brew again so I'll just be gravity feeding into my HLT kettle that I'll sanitize prior to transferring. Standby for results...
__________________
Travestian is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #944
grathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,744
Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Neat, I picture:

- recirculating to remove hot break before first addition
- remove and wash
- all hops added, if too many hops are needed, remove gunk and wash and then keep adding hops.
-at flameout remove and wash, throw back in hot wort to sanitize for use as cold break filter.

__________________
grathan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #945
JoesInBoston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 113
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

So - I've used both the 4x10 hop spider and the carboy dry hopper recently. Some of my thoughts are below.

Hop Spider: This is a handy tool to have around whether you use pellets or leaf hops in your boil. I did notice the temperature difference that I've seen mentioned in another post. While the boil was going, the inside of the hop spider was reading 207-208 degrees. I doubt it makes a difference, but you never know? In addition to using it to keep the hops in control during the boil, I used it to filter the mash runnings. That went pretty smooth, but there wasn't much grain bits to catch so I doubt I'll do it again. I also used it to filter break material when transferring from kettle to fermentation bucket. It clogged up pretty quick from the break material, though, so for more than 5 gallons it may not be a viable option as it is time consuming to keep from overflowing.

Dry Hopper: I was able to pack in only 0.5 oz of leaf hops before I was worried about the middle of the packed hops not getting wet. If I tried to pack in 1 oz, like someone mentioned can fit in there, it would have been extremely tight. At 0.5 oz of leaf hops, it worked well. The hop aroma was present in the beer and all hops were wet. The worst part of this was getting all the hops out afterwards. I need a corkscrewed barbeque skewer or something to drive in and pulls bits of hops out because they certainly don't just wash right out.

Overall, I am totally happy with the money I spent on these products.

__________________
JoesInBoston is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #946
grathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,744
Liked 106 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesInBoston View Post
So - I've used both the 4x10 hop spider and the carboy dry hopper recently. Some of my thoughts are below.

Hop Spider: This is a handy tool to have around whether you use pellets or leaf hops in your boil. I did notice the temperature difference that I've seen mentioned in another post. While the boil was going, the inside of the hop spider was reading 207-208 degrees. I doubt it makes a difference, but you never know? In addition to using it to keep the hops in control during the boil, I used it to filter the mash runnings. That went pretty smooth, but there wasn't much grain bits to catch so I doubt I'll do it again. I also used it to filter break material when transferring from kettle to fermentation bucket. It clogged up pretty quick from the break material, though, so for more than 5 gallons it may not be a viable option as it is time consuming to keep from overflowing.

Dry Hopper: I was able to pack in only 0.5 oz of leaf hops before I was worried about the middle of the packed hops not getting wet. If I tried to pack in 1 oz, like someone mentioned can fit in there, it would have been extremely tight. At 0.5 oz of leaf hops, it worked well. The hop aroma was present in the beer and all hops were wet. The worst part of this was getting all the hops out afterwards. I need a corkscrewed barbeque skewer or something to drive in and pulls bits of hops out because they certainly don't just wash right out.

Overall, I am totally happy with the money I spent on these products.
Neat, that was the 300 mesh on the spider?

I wonder if you did the hot break first before adding hops that it wouldn't clog later on filtering to the kettle.
__________________
grathan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #947
mrklueber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Xenia, Ohio
Posts: 129
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesInBoston View Post
So - I've used both the 4x10 hop spider and the carboy dry hopper recently. Some of my thoughts are below.

Hop Spider: This is a handy tool to have around whether you use pellets or leaf hops in your boil. I did notice the temperature difference that I've seen mentioned in another post. While the boil was going, the inside of the hop spider was reading 207-208 degrees. I doubt it makes a difference, but you never know? In addition to using it to keep the hops in control during the boil, I used it to filter the mash runnings. That went pretty smooth, but there wasn't much grain bits to catch so I doubt I'll do it again. I also used it to filter break material when transferring from kettle to fermentation bucket. It clogged up pretty quick from the break material, though, so for more than 5 gallons it may not be a viable option as it is time consuming to keep from overflowing.

Dry Hopper: I was able to pack in only 0.5 oz of leaf hops before I was worried about the middle of the packed hops not getting wet. If I tried to pack in 1 oz, like someone mentioned can fit in there, it would have been extremely tight. At 0.5 oz of leaf hops, it worked well. The hop aroma was present in the beer and all hops were wet. The worst part of this was getting all the hops out afterwards. I need a corkscrewed barbeque skewer or something to drive in and pulls bits of hops out because they certainly don't just wash right out.

Overall, I am totally happy with the money I spent on these products.

Thanks for the feedback on the Keg Dry Hopper. I bought one but haven't used it yet. The glass carboy dry hopper I have used, but with pellet hops. It did a pretty good job, as we have a great hop aroma and taste in the Rye IPA that we brewed about a month ago.
__________________
mrklueber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #948
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Travestian's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 465
Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklueber View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the Keg Dry Hopper. I bought one but haven't used it yet. The glass carboy dry hopper I have used, but with pellet hops. It did a pretty good job, as we have a great hop aroma and taste in the Rye IPA that we brewed about a month ago.
Regarding the carboy dry hopper:
How many ounces of hops did you use?
Were any of them dry when you pulled it out?
Were the hops tough to get out when you were finished with them?
How well do you think multiple additions would work with the carboy hopper?

I was looking to get the carboy dry hopper but wasn't sure how well it would really work based on some other comments I've seen about it. Thanks!
__________________
Travestian is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #949
mrklueber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Xenia, Ohio
Posts: 129
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post
Regarding the carboy dry hopper:
How many ounces of hops did you use?
Were any of them dry when you pulled it out?
Were the hops tough to get out when you were finished with them?
How well do you think multiple additions would work with the carboy hopper?

I was looking to get the carboy dry hopper but wasn't sure how well it would really work based on some other comments I've seen about it. Thanks!
Used 1.5 ounces of pellet hops. Only two pellets were dry, they were in the hollow part of the bottom stopper. Pulled the stoppers out and rinsed the used hops out. Very easy. I am pretty sure multiple additions would work fine in the carboy dry hopper.
__________________
mrklueber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #950
meltroha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 469
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post

I've been following this page for something to this effect also. I have whirlpooled with little to no benefit. My only idea was to use a basket style filter over a bucket but I don't own any buckets and like the idea of fermenting in the glass carboy much better. I don't want to have to try and transfer twice either, risking infection that much more. Ideas?
You can do this into a bucket, then funnel into a carboy. You will not risk infection with chilled wort, you will only be adding need oxygen!
__________________

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

meltroha is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! BrewThruYou Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-04-2013 10:59 PM
Cleaning gunk in the bottom of bottles jfr1111 Equipment/Sanitation 4 09-25-2010 02:45 AM
ID this gunk please OregonBrews Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-09-2010 01:10 AM
Better Bottle and blowoff gunk winvarin Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-27-2010 01:28 PM
How much gunk? JerD Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-21-2010 01:33 AM