Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #891
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaheel
I am looking to purchase one of these for my keggle. I do not have a false bottom as of now. Looking for recommendations for a 300 or 400 micron mesh.
With my experience for removing hop trub if you are using a plate chiller a 300 is the way to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #892
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

you can read through this thread to get opinions, but they seem to be mixed on the 300 vs 400 debate. i think either one will do. personally i slightly lean towards the 400 but it's not a strong preference.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #893
vaheel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
With my experience for removing hop trub if you are using a plate chiller a 300 is the way to go.
I do not have a plate chiller yet, but do plan on adding one soon.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #894
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaheel

I do not have a plate chiller yet, but do plan on adding one soon.
I've got both the 300 and the 400. My goto is the 300.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #895
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww9618 View Post
Has anyone used a 8x14 or 10x14 in a keggle? The price isn't much more. Any opinions?
Does anybody have any experience with a larger basket in a keggle?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #896
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have used both and see little difference between the two meshes, though there is a tiny bit of difference. What I believe may be more important is the diameter, though this is just conjecture on my part at this point. I am going to order either a 6" or 8" one (still trying to decide) to compliment my 4" one. I use the spider/filter for multiple purposes in my setup. I run my mash through it to get out any bits of grain, I use it to keep hops out of my plate chiller and eventually my carboy, and I try to use it during recirculation to catch break and hop materials. When the 4" doesn't clog, this works wonderfully, but it has clogged at least half the time thus the reason I want a larger one. If the larger diameter has an issue (others on here have not had the same issue with as large if not larger doses of hops, so this is why I am leaning this way...) then I will just use two, reserving one for post boil recirculation. Is this overkill? I dunno, but I would really like to keep as much gunk out of my chiller and carboys as I can so it is worth experimenting with. Good luck with whatever you choose...I am sure you find this a great addition to your brew day just like the rest of us!!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #897
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww9618 View Post
Does anybody have any experience with a larger basket in a keggle?
I made strainer 11" in diameter (sankey keg as BK, aprox. 15" wide ) and I have boil over problems with it.
Strainer is big enough to enable boil in it, but vigorous boil takes place between strainer and keg wall, and this is where the problem comes:
space between basket and keg is pretty limited so boil can easily pour over keg side, especially at the beginning and with large pre-boil volume.

I will have to reduce diameter, perhaps to 4-6" just to increase boil surface.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 04-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #898
drive45
Recipes 

I just ordered one of the 1.5" x 16.5" dry hoppers from Chad. However, I am going to try using it primarily for filtering my wort from the kettle to my Better Bottle. I use an immersion chiller, so I don't need clear wort out of the kettle. I just want it clear in the fermenter. So, I am going to put this guy in the Better Bottle and drain through it.

Some relevant dimensions. Better Bottle opening is about 1.77" ID, so 1.5" is perfect. From the top of the Better Bottle to the bump on the bottom is about 17.75", which means the dry hopper will sit a little over an inch down from the top so with my fingers or floss I can pull it out. Lastly, from the bump at the bottle of the bottle to the bottom of the neck, it is about 15", so I don't have to worry about the filter falling into the BB and being a pain to fish out or even scratching the bottle.

We'll see how it works. Even if it doesn't work for this purpose, I can still use it to dry hop, but I am hoping it can do double duty.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #899
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I recently did the same concept with my 6x14. Threw my pellet hops directly into the boil, chilled with IC, hung sanitized 6x14 screen onto edge of interior fermentation bucket, gravity drained from top of screen. Worked perfectly for a very clear wort. Knocked down the aeration I usually get from gravity transferring but fermentation started in less than 16 hours.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #900
drive45
Recipes 

Glad to hear it worked for you. How hard was it to clean out the strainer afterwards and get it sanitized for future sessions of straining into a fermenter?

I saw a couple people say they had used it as a strainer into a bucket, but since I was using Better Bottles I couldn't find a good option with the standard strainers (closest was funnel with strainer). The dry hopper hopefully will fill that need. If not, the search will continue and may involve a strainer in the kettle and perhaps a screen or false bottom for the kettle to keep out the break. Definitely more complicated and expensive than the dry hopper if it works.

Quick Reply