Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #841
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Not that I know of. I have used Simcoe, Chinook and Centennial as well with no problems.

Not saying anyone isn't having issues. I stir mine each time I add an addition and that really seems to make a difference compared to when i didn't on the first two batches.
I think I have to stir more. Will stir more next time. Will update after next brew. Probably not for a bit. Vegas next week!! Party the following week. Then brew to restock after the party.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #842
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but did you watch my videos? I'm using 300 and just did a 10 gallon batch with 8 ounces of pellet hops and zero problems.
Not sure we are comparing apples to apples though. You have a lot more surface area in that monster Chad made for you than those of us with a 4" diameter cylinder style spider. I stir mine and ladle in wort all the time and still have clogging issues. I think the next one I order will be a 6" or 8" diameter one as that extra surface area may be the difference...I believe marcb has the larger 6" diameter as well and he is not seeing the clogging with a relatively large hop load. I see clogs with any brew with 4 oz or more of pellets...

OBTW, mine is a 400 micron mesh to boot...

Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #843
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13 View Post
That's the hops I used sorachi ace.
So far that's the only hop to clog my filter. They must be ground down more than others.

No problems with Citra, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Simcoe, Palisade, Galaxy, Monteuka, Nelson Sauvin, Zythos, Warrior, or EKG.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #844
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Can hops act differently. As one the previous posters that had clogging I also used sorachi ace. My cascade pellets didn't seem to give me problems my previous batches. Am I going crazy? Maybe it was the phase of the moon.
it's not the hop type per se that is causing the issue, it's the processing. sounds like the japanese hop processors are shredding the sorachi ace finer than other hop processors, so their gunk from those pellets is made up of finer particles.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
MagicSmoker Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #845
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
it's not the hop type per se that is causing the issue, it's the processing. sounds like the japanese hop processors are shredding the sorachi ace finer than other hop processors, so their gunk from those pellets is made up of finer particles.
Makes sense. I guess the ginsu blades are sharper.
Wonder if anyone else has used sorachi ace? What's your experience been?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #846
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
Not sure we are comparing apples to apples though. You have a lot more surface area in that monster Chad made for you than those of us with a 4" diameter cylinder style spider. I stir mine and ladle in wort all the time and still have clogging issues. I think the next one I order will be a 6" or 8" diameter one as that extra surface area may be the difference...I believe marcb has the larger 6" diameter as well and he is not seeing the clogging with a relatively large hop load. I see clogs with any brew with 4 oz or more of pellets...

OBTW, mine is a 400 micron mesh to boot...
Maybe. Good point. My original is also 300 micron but 6"D x 14"L and I didn't have a problem with it either and went as far as 6 ounces of pellet hops.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #847
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44

Maybe. Good point. My original is also 300 micron but 6"D x 14"L and I didn't have a problem with it either and went as far as 6 ounces of pellet hops.
I definitely think that the 6" diameter one is the sweet spot for most 15 or 20 gallon kettles, and it's a luxury to have two on hand for hoppier beers. On my new build I'm going to go with 10" diameter and 22" long (have to wait to get the elements in the kettles to make sure they don't make contact) and I will have two of them (both kettles and filters).

Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #848
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'll use my 2 4" ones and upgrade to a larger diameter later. So larger is better? LOL

Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #849
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
I'll use my 2 4" ones and upgrade to a larger diameter later. So larger is better? LOL
That's what SWMBO always says...especially when it comes to circumference!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #850
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
actually I think that the 6" diameter is the sweet spot for most mid sized kettles. If you go much bigger then they might bounce around based on the bottom surface area and air rising through the boil. The ones I was describing are for monster 52 gallon kettles. The kicker for me is that I can't go much wider as the kettles are only 22" in diameter so I'm going to try to max it out and see what happens... I may also need to figure out a new hanging arm as the lip is pretty thick on those beasts too.

Quick Reply