Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #71
TnFarmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It is about 5.5-6" to the 5 gallon level.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #72
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

So has anyone compared 300 to 400 mesh yet?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #73
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnFarmer
It is about 5.5-6" to the 5 gallon level.
Definitely don't want to do feet on the bottom as it would be bobbing around during the boil.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #74
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb

Definitely don't want to do feet on the bottom as it would be bobbing around during the boil.
I got a piece of stainless heavy gauge wire to secure it down a little lower. Not on the bottom, just down another couple of inches. It's fine for a 5 gallon batch in my 11 gallon kettle but needs a couple inches for smaller batches.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #75
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Here is a pic of my keggle. It is probably hard to see but I have cut out and ground smooth where the keg bend in and meets the handle skirt. It might not look like it but it is very smooth. I left three tabs to rest a lid on if I can find one that fits.
Would it be best to just hang the strainer from the skirt or a handle or try and have feet on it? What diameter and how far off the bottom should it be for 5-10 gallon batches? I will ask the fabricator as well but I figure more input is better.
Something like this should work pretty well for you for 5-10 gallon batches based on my measurements off of a standard 15.5 gallon keg. For others if there is a lip or if they are using 13 gallon (50 liter euro kegs) there will be differences.
image-1044958304.jpg  

Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #76
TnFarmer
Recipes 

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. How far off the bottom should the strainer be? Then I can use the actual measurements from my keg to keep it that distance off. Would an I ch be to close to the heat?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #77
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. How far off the bottom should the strainer be? Then I can use the actual measurements from my keg to keep it that distance off. Would an I ch be to close to the heat?
I was assuming that 3" was safe off of the bottom based on the measurements I took off of my buddy's keg. Two is probably fine as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #78
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 21

if you looking for a real good strainer google Chinois or china caps. these are what we use in restaurants. china caps are larger, have different hole sizes and would be good for removing hop leaf. chinois are super fine mesh and would remove any fine particles from what ever you run through it

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #79
marcb
Recipes 

So the last post gave me an idea since my 300 mesh strainer showed up this week but the SWMBO hasn't sanctioned a brew day until next sunday.... I used it to strain a beef stock for her and it worked beautifully! Couple of things different about the 300 over the 200. Even when cleaning with PBW (nothing solid or chunky in the liquid) it would trap air if inverted when cleaning so it is definitely too fine for this application. The 300 did not. I switched from doing a Pliny next week to a 10 gallon Pumpkin ale recipe for seasonal goodness. I will report back with how the 300 performs with lots of pics. So far it is easier to clean and seems to be better suited for hop straining.... will see!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #80
drive45
Recipes 

Dumb question, but I use an immersion chiller to cool down my wort. Because of that, I'm figuring the only way to make this work would be to have the stainer in the center of the pot. Any thoughts on the best way to brace it to make that happen? I use a 9 gallon pot from Adventures in Homebrewing (see link) with a ball valve and sight gauge/thermometer from BrewHardare.com. The picture below is the stock photo from Adventures in Hombrewing without the sight gauge and thermometer.

http://www.homebrewing.org/One-Weld-...ot_p_1683.html

Everything works great, but I get a ton of hops and break in the fermenter. I've tried a bazooka screen, but it gets clogged like crazy. This seems like a better option.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply