Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #711
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Excellent craftsmanship! It almost looks as if the bottom of that hop filter is either a short section of perforated tube, or sheet that has been bent in a slip roller. That stuff is really solid, and I bet it adds a lot of rigidity/durability.

I have actually been collecting a lot of the equipment Chad uses to do this stuff (TIG, MIG, machine tools)...just to play around with my own wacky ideas and to feed into my obsession with stainless steel. Still need to get a brake and slip roll....but these things have to happen slowly or SWMBO will be furious.

I'm glad to see that we have a few vendors that are interested in R&D for home brewers...it can be difficult for a fab shop to fill all these unique orders and still keep things affordable. I have a couple cool ideas...but I want to keep them to myself...LOL!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #712
marshallwms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Check this out, hot off the uh... seam welder ; )
That's what I have been looking (and waiting) for. How much did that bad boy cost? It looks awesome, and should fit inside my immersion coils. It looks like it is time to buy.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #713
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallwms

That's what I have been looking (and waiting) for. How much did that bad boy cost? It looks awesome, and should fit inside my immersion coils. It looks like it is time to buy.
I have no idea how it will perform with flow across the bottom. Ideally, the bottom band would be 1" with 1/2" of stainless perf unrestricted to ensure flow of wort through the bottom. I will be testing it out this weekend and will post lots of pics. You'll have to get Chad to quote you as this was a prototype with the perf bottom and he did an amazing job with it!
image-3391090996.jpg   image-561791005.jpg   image-51109633.jpg   image-2960399022.jpg  

Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #714
nspaldi0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I may have missed it, but what is Chad's website?

Brew Projects: Finishing up my single-tier rig! It's taking forever.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #715
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspaldi0
I may have missed it, but what is Chad's website?
www.arborfab.com

Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #716
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood2000
Whats the hole diameter? I'm in the process of creating an all grain system out of 15g sankys and the mash tun is next on my list. Curious to know how yours works out...might be time to place another order with Chad!
These are 3/32, you'll probably want to go 1/16. I will definitely let you know how it works out but I can tell you this, I weigh about 275 and stood on this yesterday and it didn't budge.... My old one that came with the tank completely collapsed on one side and that was only with about 120 lbs of grain on it.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #717
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts

So I brewed a pretty big beer today with 7 ounces of pellet hops. I was disappointed to find that I could not use my technique of recirculating through my plate chiller into my spider because the thing was just too clogged by hop bits! As reported before, recirculating through the spider made draining my kettle a breeze as it not only filtered through the hops giving me more potential hop goodness, but it also filtered out break material that tends to clog the screen on my funnel going into the carboy.

I think what I am going to do next it snag one of the carboy dry hop filters from chad and then use it when I am recirculating to catch hot break gunk. Won't be able to recirculate through the hops to get more flavor/aroma, but at least this will eliminate one issue. Works great when I do less hoppy beers, though.

marcb let me know how well the new design drains, as that might also be a way to fix my issue...thanks!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #718
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I was using my 400 stainless spider today with an ipa (6oz) of hops. The darn thing wouldn't drain worth a damn. Ideas?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #719
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack View Post
So I was using my 400 stainless spider today with an ipa (6oz) of hops. The darn thing wouldn't drain worth a damn. Ideas?
So far I've had it get semi clogged up once in a beer that only used 2oz Sorachi Ace, yet 9oz of various other hops didn't clog it. I think it has to do with the specific hops being ground to different levels, though I could be wrong.

Possibly it could be that it should be soaked in oxyclean/pbw after every use and it's getting progressively more clogged up with each brew.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #720
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pretty sure it's the break material, not the hops. I've done better with it since I started waiting until after the hot break to put it in, as another poster suggested.

When I wash it off at the end, that stuff can be coating the bottom and outside.

Quick Reply