Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #61
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Picked up one of these a few weeks ago and it works great! The only "design flaw" is that it must be kept upright to do its job. I was draining off the liquid at the end of the boil and tipped it over too far, spilling half the hop debris into the kettle! I think it's more of a design flaw with me and drinking a few too many while brewing!

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #62
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

subscribing

Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #63
TnFarmer
Recipes 

Here is a pic of my keggle. It is probably hard to see but I have cut out and ground smooth where the keg bend in and meets the handle skirt. It might not look like it but it is very smooth. I left three tabs to rest a lid on if I can find one that fits.
Would it be best to just hang the strainer from the skirt or a handle or try and have feet on it? What diameter and how far off the bottom should it be for 5-10 gallon batches? I will ask the fabricator as well but I figure more input is better.

image-1204891074.jpg  

Old 09-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #64
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnFarmer
Here is a pic of my keggle. It is probably hard to see but I have cut out and ground smooth where the keg bend in and meets the handle skirt. It might not look like it but it is very smooth. I left three tabs to rest a lid on if I can find one that fits.
Would it be best to just hang the strainer from the skirt or a handle or try and have feet on it? What diameter and how far off the bottom should it be for 5-10 gallon batches? I will ask the fabricator as well but I figure more input is better.
Nope, that is exactly what I needed. I'll sketch something up for you off and post it as a pic with measurements this weekend. You'll need longer hooks for sure, how high up the keg are the five gallon batches? It might be expensive to get one 6" x 20" to cover the entire rise of the keg.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #65
gjabball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb

Nope, that is exactly what I needed. I'll sketch something up for you off and post it as a pic with measurements this weekend. You'll need longer hooks for sure, how high up the keg are the five gallon batches? It might be expensive to get one 6" x 20" to cover the entire rise of the keg.
I got a quote for a 6 by 14 with 300 micron and it was $60.00.Not too bad.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

I've been following this thread and am definitely going to order one of these eventually... This forum is going to be the best thing to happen to this guy lol

Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #67
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I should also mention that I've been using mine as a filter from the mash tun in to the kettle. No more vourlaufing to keep the chunks of grain out - and no more clogged plate chiller!

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Newsman Likes This 
Old 09-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #68
marcb
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy
I should also mention that I've been using mine as a filter from the mash tun in to the kettle. No more vourlaufing to keep the chunks of grain out - and no more clogged plate chiller!
Dude, that's awesome! My buddy has an issue with lautering and I hadn't thought of that!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #69
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb

Dude, that's awesome! My buddy has an issue with lautering and I hadn't thought of that!
I tried everything - triple vourlauf, kettle bazooka, mesh bag filter and this has been the best. Plus it holds the hose nicely so I don't worry about it flying out and dumping a gallon of wort on the floor. Best $40 I spent on brewing equipment so far.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #70
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 593 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I've been following this thread and am definitely going to order one of these eventually... This forum is going to be the best thing to happen to this guy lol
Yep, just requested to quote.

Quick Reply