The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #51
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjabball View Post
Thats a great idea. Thanks for all your information! I see your in Santa Clarita! I am in Redondo Beach.
close... Santa Clara, about 300 miles north!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #52
gjabball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
close... Santa Clara, about 300 miles north!
haha. That is way more beautiful than Santa Clarita anyway. That is what I get for not drinking coffee.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #53
marcb
Recipes 

My 300 micron filter just got here, looking forward to testing it out on a batch of Pliny. Here's a side by side but you can't really tell the difference in the pic, by sight it's obvious and I think that 300 is the right choice.... Looking forward to testing my theory. Chad from Arbor fabrication is a very good guy to do business with and I am very pleased with the quality of his work!

image-4217266465.jpg  

Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #54
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb
My 300 micron filter just got here, looking forward to testing it out on a batch of Pliny. Here's a side by side but you can't really tell the difference in the pic, by sight it's obvious and I think that 300 is the right choice.... Looking forward to testing my theory. Chad from Arbor fabrication is a very good guy to do business with and I am very pleased with the quality of his work!
Lol, forgot to note that my brew helper on Sunday decided to crush my 200 micron filter a little. Still not sure how it happened or how much force was involved as in working with the filters I have not found them to be delicate or prone to damage.... Let's chalk it up to too many beers during cleanup ; )

Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #55
xmacro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Subscribed; looking forward to seeing how the 300 and 400 work out

Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #56
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This looks great as my hopstopper can't handle more than 3oz of hops... Has there be any conclusion on how keeping your hops inside one of these mesh assemblies vs letting them float free effects the flavor of the beer? That's the only reason I haven't tried one of these yet. I'm worried that I will be reducing the amount of hop bitterness, aroma and flavor.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #57
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppman
This looks great as my hopstopper can't handle more than 3oz of hops... Has there be any conclusion on how keeping your hops inside one of these mesh assemblies vs letting them float free effects the flavor of the beer? That's the only reason I haven't tried one of these yet. I'm worried that I will be reducing the amount of hop bitterness, aroma and flavor.
Yes, I did a head to head with a second running smaller batch beer next to my primary brew last brew day and there wasn't any perceivable difference in the bitterness that I could tell. This was for a BDS with a single 60 minute hop addition. Looking forward to testing the 300 mesh with some Pliny coming up.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #58
TnFarmer
Recipes 

I am interested in one for my keggle. It has the top completely cut out and is a smooth wall to the handles and it is about 19" to the start of the handle and 14" diameter. I primarily do 5 gallon batches but see 10 in my future. Do you think your design would work? If not, do you have any modifications you would suggest? I currently use a hop bag and am not satisfied with it.
Thanks

Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #59
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnFarmer
I am interested in one for my keggle. It has the top completely cut out and is a smooth wall to the handles and it is about 19" to the start of the handle and 14" diameter. I primarily do 5 gallon batches but see 10 in my future. Do you think your design would work? If not, do you have any modifications you would suggest? I currently use a hop bag and am not satisfied with it.
Thanks
Can you post a pic to this thread so we can see how the top is cut out/off? You would probably need to modify the design a bit but Chad (the seller) is flexible so if you can draw it, take a pic and email it, he will build it for you!

Old 09-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #60
TnFarmer
Recipes 

I am working this weekend but will post a pic when I get a chance.

Quick Reply