Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #561
spiffy78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Hi, lots of people do, I am on mobile so I can't point out specific posts. I use the same pot but when I went from 15 to 26g I also switched over to plate chillers.
Cool, thanks man.

What size basket do you use on your 26g kettle? Thanks for all the R&D on this, think I'll go with the 300 micron, just want to be sure it is sized right for my kettle.
__________________
spiffy78 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #562
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,072
Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy78 View Post
Cool, thanks man.

What size basket do you use on your 26g kettle? Thanks for all the R&D on this, think I'll go with the 300 micron, just want to be sure it is sized right for my kettle.
You are very welcome, this started out as one of my 'science projects' and has worked out well! I use a 6" diameter by 14" long basket in mine and I'm very happy with it. Given your pot I would check the inside diameter of your IC and make sure that will fit, if it won't you can definitely make the basket longer to compensate for a narrower diameter. Chad can also fab you different hangers such that the basket is suspended over the middle of the kettle as opposed to hanging off the side. Let me know if you need additional measurements or pics off of my setup.
__________________
marcb is offline
spiffy78 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #563
marshallwms
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 51
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaumannerb View Post
Welcome as an official vendor Chad!

I'm going to be bottling an IIPA this weekend so in a few weeks I will know how well the hop utilization was (but based on my observations during brewing I think it will be fine.)

Just wanted to mention that I did a small batch yesterday - 3 gallons in my 8 gallon pot. It wasn't a hoppy beer, but I did use an ounce of whole hops and I was concerned that they might not be immersed enough (normally the basket hangs 2" from the bottom.) So I just set it in the bottom of the pot during the boil - and there was a full boil inside the basket. I'm guessing that the frame conducted enough heat up from the bottom of the kettle to keep the wort inside the screen hot enough to do a roiling boil.
Has anyone else tried to just set their basket on the bottom of their pot? Since normally hops just float freely in the boiling wort, why not do this all the time? I don't see where the hops would burn if indeed you get a rolling boil inside the basket. They seem tall enough that they could not tip over.
__________________
marshallwms is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #564
DrHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 308
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I have tried this several times and it works great every time. I had the same end result as you, the wort boiled right though the basket without any issues.

__________________

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

DrHops is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #565
ziggityz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 126
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Should these be ordered long enough to sit on the bottom of the kettle, or do you want the bottom of the strainer up a bit to allow boiling wort in? I was thinking of ordering the 4"x10" 300 micron. My kettle is 12" tall, and 16" diameter so I will have room for my 9 1/2" diameter IC.

__________________
ziggityz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #566
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,072
Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggityz
Should these be ordered long enough to sit on the bottom of the kettle, or do you want the bottom of the strainer up a bit to allow boiling wort in? I was thinking of ordering the 4"x10" 300 micron. My kettle is 12" tall, and 16" diameter so I will have room for my 9 1/2" diameter IC.
I'm not sure. The folks that boil it on the bottom seem to like the way that it works, mine don't reach the bottom of my kettle and I usually only do full to the brim batches so I haven't had the opportunity to try it out. I don't think it will enhance the outcome any except may cut down on the need to stir in the basket as often due to the bubbles agitating things on their way up.
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #567
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hamburg, NY
Posts: 456
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
I'm not sure. The folks that boil it on the bottom seem to like the way that it works, mine don't reach the bottom of my kettle and I usually only do full to the brim batches so I haven't had the opportunity to try it out. I don't think it will enhance the outcome any except may cut down on the need to stir in the basket as often due to the bubbles agitating things on their way up.
That is my problem I believe with my spider (paint strainer bag) and my 20g blichmann; its not reaching the bottom. I tried ball bearings but the bag is simply too small. In all reality I do not want the bag to touch for obvious reasons but it hovers about halfway down.
__________________
Paulgs3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #568
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,613
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

I found that if I leave the strainer on the bottom of my kettle, I do get the surge of bubbles agitating the basket, without the need to stir.

I have the bigger 14" on for my kettle, it won't tip if it just floats around freely.

However- I have gotten burned spots in the bottom of my kettle where the basket sits. Hops will settle and clog a bit on the bottom, and if you weight it down, the easiest way for the energy to escape is to take the path of least resistance. You'll trap some wort under it and burn it.

Have had it happen 3 times now, 1st on accident, and the other two I was experimenting.

__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #569
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,072
Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY
I found that if I leave the strainer on the bottom of my kettle, I do get the surge of bubbles agitating the basket, without the need to stir.

I have the bigger 14" on for my kettle, it won't tip if it just floats around freely.

However- I have gotten burned spots in the bottom of my kettle where the basket sits. Hops will settle and clog a bit on the bottom, and if you weight it down, the easiest way for the energy to escape is to take the path of least resistance. You'll trap some wort under it and burn it.

Have had it happen 3 times now, 1st on accident, and the other two I was experimenting.
That was my original theory for not running it on the bottom and why I chose a shorter design. While it would be nice to not stir I find that stirring vigorously at each hop addition combines the hop pellets and wort into a nice split pea soup of hoppiness that seems to work well. I don't really see a way around burning the wort trapped in the bottom of the basket unless the bottom ring was mesh (which would diminish the strength quite a bit.)
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #570
LKHA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maynard
Posts: 204
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

15.5 gal keggel do both 5 and 10gallon batches size and price to Iowa chad have used a paint bag spider in the past

__________________
Warning:
If you get advice on an electric brewing rig, you need to take it to a licensed electrician or two to have it looked over.
This stuff can kill you. When it comes right down to it, we're just some dudes on the internet.
I have seem some TERRIBLE advice on here in the past few months. I may even be guilty of bad advice myself.
LKHA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning gunk in the bottom of bottles jfr1111 Equipment/Sanitation 7 09-22-2014 07:44 PM
Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! BrewThruYou Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-04-2013 11:59 PM
ID this gunk please OregonBrews Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-09-2010 02:10 AM
Better Bottle and blowoff gunk winvarin Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-27-2010 02:28 PM
How much gunk? JerD Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-21-2010 02:33 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS