Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #521
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack
So what are your feelings
I feel that the niners need to do a better job crushing the ravens

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #522
marcb
Recipes 

Quick dump and rinse with the hose and both are good as new!

image-6391118.jpg  

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #523
marcb
Recipes 

So the long and short of this is: the 400 definitely let more hop gunk through but didn't circulate the wort any better (IMHO) there was no boiling going on in either basket although you could see roughly equal movement in both baskets. The 400 probably drained quicker but I couldn't tell because the lid was on. Luckily my false bottom caught most of the gunk as none of it really made it into my plate chiller so cleanup was really a snap. Both baskets were equally loaded with 17.5 oz of pellets each and stirred vigorously at each addition. My druthers would be to opt for the 300. I think the 400 will work fine for people that aren't using plate chillers but I don't think there is a huge difference. Draining may be an issue for some with the 300 but I have overcome this by leaving the basket in while pumping into the fermenter. More thoughts pending!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #524
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Very nice! You definitely put these things to the test. Looks like the FB really caught quite a bit of gunk. For the amount of surface area it has, I think it kept an aful lot of particulates out of the chiller and fermenter...not to mention it would have combined with the cold break and could very well have clogged things up!

That's gonna be one hell of a hoppy beer!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #525
Chamuco
Beer Bender
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Thanks for all the photos Marc......what a day!?,! At least you pulled of a win with 20 gallons of Pliny! I just added a 300 strainer to my wishlist. How'd the tankless water heater perform?

Beer, beer, good for the heart.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #526
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamuco
Thanks for all the photos Marc......what a day!?,! At least you pulled of a win with 20 gallons of Pliny! I just added a 300 strainer to my wishlist. How'd the tankless water heater perform?
Flipping awesome, single best investment I've made, my brew day wasn't shorter though due to a whole bunch of other "fun" things that happened like a QD popping apart and spraying wort all over the place. I fixed that in a hurry though and hosed everything down - including my control panel....thankfully I use a gfi on my extension cord.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #527
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Very nice! You definitely put these things to the test. Looks like the FB really caught quite a bit of gunk. For the amount of surface area it has, I think it kept an aful lot of particulates out of the chiller and fermenter...not to mention it would have combined with the cold break and could very well have clogged things up!

That's gonna be one hell of a hoppy beer!
I wanted to get the most out of my flameout hops so I recirculated while chilling (kept the whirlpool loop going) as opposed to pumping out directly into the fermenter. My dual therminator chiller setup was working well yesterday and the output temp was 60 just using hose water. So I recirculated until it dropped down to about 110 (so about 5 minutes or so) and then pumped into the fermenter. When I started my cleaning cycle (which was superfast as I have a tankless water cart now) there was literally no debris in the chillers at all. I did a 20 min PBW flush with 160 degree water and then a 20 min hot rinse cycle with 160 degree water and both were clean and clear.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #528
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
I wanted to get the most out of my flameout hops so I recirculated while chilling (kept the whirlpool loop going) as opposed to pumping out directly into the fermenter. My dual therminator chiller setup was working well yesterday and the output temp was 60 just using hose water. So I recirculated until it dropped down to about 110 (so about 5 minutes or so) and then pumped into the fermenter. When I started my cleaning cycle (which was superfast as I have a tankless water cart now) there was literally no debris in the chillers at all. I did a 20 min PBW flush with 160 degree water and then a 20 min hot rinse cycle with 160 degree water and both were clean and clear.
I forgot that I posted pics of this as well, last two pics were the cleaning cycle, first with PBW, second with just hot water.... notice how clear and free of hop gunk it is!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #529
Hammertime1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Used a 300 mesh this weekend, worked great!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #530
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just ordered a 400 and it is in the mail. Guess I should have waited a week longer for your results, but honestly I think I will be fine as I have been using just a bazooka tube in the past and I have had no problems with my plate chiller or pumps in that regard. Chad banged a custom spider out for me over the weekend and I am sure it is going to make my brew day a little easier and more relaxing. I will post some pix when I get around to my next brew day...

Quick Reply