Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #421
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

I wonder if you could use one of these to wash yeast? Set it inside a pitcher, strain your yeast from your fermenter then transfer the yeast to jars. I use a lot of dry hops and think this may help strain most of that out when washing yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #422
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Hi, I'm still tripping out that you are seeing that much residue out of a 300! I use a false bottom in my kettle but the end of day residue when I'm cleaning out my kettle with the 300 is limited to a light coating on the FB. I will see if I have a pic of it. Chad is shipping me a 400 (to replace my 200 that was way too fine) so I will be able to do a side by side with those, maybe I should do a batch with just the 400 first as a control but I've never gotten that much sludge through my 300.
Do you stir inside of your hop screen? I do, so it may be pushing some of it out.

I've seen that after every brew that had any significant amount of hops in it. It was actually better this time, as I pulled it before I got the hot break. I get REALLY good hot breaks, so I figured I would eliminate the coating of the whole screen with it. I would lose minimal bittering if any from the FWH. As they are out for 5 minutes, after being in there from the first runnings, and heating the whole time.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #423
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY

Do you stir inside of your hop screen? I do, so it may be pushing some of it out.

I've seen that after every brew that had any significant amount of hops in it. It was actually better this time, as I pulled it before I got the hot break. I get REALLY good hot breaks, so I figured I would eliminate the coating of the whole screen with it. I would lose minimal bittering if any from the FWH. As they are out for 5 minutes, after being in there from the first runnings, and heating the whole time.
I stir like crazy at every addition and a couple of extra times during the boil. I am doing 20 gallon batches so my boil volume is about 23-24 gallons (as you've seen in various pics in the thread) so maybe there is a hop to wort volume explanation.... the perceived bitterness at first taste (of my gravity samples) is intense but seem to fade away nicely to a reasonable level durong fermentation. the last time out it was a really cold day but I still had a vigorous boil going for 60 minutes but didn't get much hot break for some reason....

Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #424
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
I stir like crazy at every addition and a couple of extra times during the boil. I am doing 20 gallon batches so my boil volume is about 23-24 gallons (as you've seen in various pics in the thread) so maybe there is a hop to wort volume explanation.... the perceived bitterness at first taste (of my gravity samples) is intense but seem to fade away nicely to a reasonable level durong fermentation. the last time out it was a really cold day but I still had a vigorous boil going for 60 minutes but didn't get much hot break for some reason....
I don't think the volume has anything to do with it.. If you do a 10 gal boil with 2 ounces of hops, and I do a 5 gal boil with 1 ounce of hops, it's still the same volume/hop ratio.

My gravity samples all have some great bitterness to them, and like you said, they all fade out during fermentation and the beer comes around and tastes great. I was worried about not getting good use from the hops, or overloading the screen. This is the biggest amount of hops I've tossed in the screen at one time as well. I'm wondering if my stirring could be pushing the fine particulate out..

Which brings me back to what I said a couple of pages ago. I think it varies from hop farm to hop farm and who processed the pellets. Some might be a more course or more fine particle. No real perfect screen I think.

I've just gotten used to the idea of using the screen, cooling a little, whirlpooling, cooling it the rest of the way, and then letting it settle. I draw pretty clear wort from the valve as is, and will line a funnel with a paint strainer bag like I did. It aerates the wort really, really well that way. I had close to 5 inches of foam on top of the wort in the carboy when I was done transferring. It's not much extra work and doubles up to aerate so it works well in my system.

I do think that the break material could be a thing to watch for though. I get really robust hot breaks, that I have to let settle and rise for about 3-5 minutes or it'll boil over. I've been pulling the screen as I see it starting to get foamy on top and don't put it back until it's all dropped and cleared out. Seems to help keep it less clogged.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #425
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I don't think the volume has anything to do with it.. If you do a 10 gal boil with 2 ounces of hops, and I do a 5 gal boil with 1 ounce of hops, it's still the same volume/hop ratio.
Wouldn't you also have to scale the size of the hop strainer? If you had a 8" x 14" hop strainer, the maximum volume of liquid that could pass through it should be the same regardless of the volume of liquid in the kettle.

So then wouldn't 2oz of hop mass in a 10 gal boil provide more resistance to the volume of liquid that can circulate than 1oz of hop mass in a 5 gal boil?

To be fair, fluid dynamics is not my forte so I could be incorrect, but that's the assumption I'd make.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #426
stompbox
Served up in the backyard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dang, I do just as well with cheese cloth ad that 300 photo.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #427
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Big ups on Chad's customer service. I received one of these as a gift and it wasn't exactly what I wanted, he made it super easy to exchange it for a custom build more suited to me. Very happy with the service, can't wait to try the product out.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #428
marcb
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee

Hey, that looks like my bucket! Lol, I've been working with Chad on this to prototype a s/s BIAB type system for my 8gl kettle. It should work nicely for my 2.5 gl batches. I hope to get it in operation soon and will give you all a good review on how it works.
I saw the other piece to press the liquid out today, looks pretty sharp. I'm interested in seeing how this works out for you!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #429
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got the one from stainless brewing. It's decent although I'm not terribly impressed with the build quality, there is no mesh support so it just kind of dents. 400 Kept my plate chiller from clogging. UHow much is one of the ones from chad.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #430
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Wouldn't you also have to scale the size of the hop strainer? If you had a 8" x 14" hop strainer, the maximum volume of liquid that could pass through it should be the same regardless of the volume of liquid in the kettle.

So then wouldn't 2oz of hop mass in a 10 gal boil provide more resistance to the volume of liquid that can circulate than 1oz of hop mass in a 5 gal boil?

To be fair, fluid dynamics is not my forte so I could be incorrect, but that's the assumption I'd make.
Perhaps, but as far as "pass through" it's a variable changed only by the micron of the screen really.

But in our case here, he offers a stock 8x14 that most people are using that fits in most larger kettles.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply