Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #411
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44

Check post #237, 247, 248, 250 and 328.
Thank you. Post 328 is closest to my setup. Just wondering how it would attach to the side of the keggle without being supported by sitting on the bottom of the keggle. In an auction it appears that he sells the strainers with small attachment hook type things. That's why I'm confused

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #412
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Okay fellas'-

Here's a few quick snapshots of what I had going on today with this kettle screen.

This is a 300 micron, 6x14 screen. I removed this from the kettle while the hot break took place and tossed it back in to avoid clogging it with the break material. I also left this in when I cooled and whirlpooled it all to sit and settle.

This was a double IPA I tossed together today. It was pretty straight forward.. had FWH, and then all the other additions from 20 min, on down to 0.

I used leaf Chinook for the FWH, only an ounce. I also used Chinook at 5 min, and it was also leaf, and only .50 ounce in there.

Total, I used 9 ounces of various hops ( Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, Simcoe ). They were all pellets, other than the Chinook.

I stirred inside of the screen periodically throughout the boil- and at every addition.

Here's a picture of the bottom of the screen after I pulled it, drained it slowly and let it sit. You can see what has made it through and coated the bottom.

There is a picture of how thick it is, I scraped a section.

Here's majority of it, dumped on a paper plate. This isn't a small cake plate, this is a normal sized paper plate. Had a decent bit caked inside of the screen.

I thought it did an okay job after settling out, at giving me some pretty clean wort.

I drained it into the funnel, and put a paint strainer in the funnel to see what would make it through. A little bit came out, but mostly clear until the end.....

Here's what I found at the bottom of the kettle, as well as what I got some the last bit from the kettle. It was a very fine sludge, pretty darn nasty, but this is what made it out of the screen during the boil. I could easily cup my hands together and it would be overflowing with what was left!

So.. for those looking at the larger micron, you will probably see more sludge in your kettle and fermenter. I wouldn't go too small, as you will run the risk of not getting the full use of the hops.

There really is no perfect fix for it I think, but atleast gives you a way to manage it. The wort tasted very bitter and hoppy, so I know I got what I wanted in there. Should be around 80-85 IBU's.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

bovineblitz Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #413
stamandster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think the innovation of this "hop canister" is really cool and I appreciate all the hard work put into it, and I hate to be "that guy", but, wouldn't it be better to have something covering the drain siphon tube with a large surface area and allow the hops to float freely (ie. the "hop taco").

1) Possibly better utilization of hops; the hops are able to freely intermingle with more boiling water?
2) Possible smaller cost; less stainless mesh required

Again, not trying to down grade any work or testing that's been done to date, because I think thinking differently is awesome. Just trying to understand the thought process.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #414
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post
I think the innovation of this "hop canister" is really cool and I appreciate all the hard work put into it, and I hate to be "that guy", but, wouldn't it be better to have something covering the drain siphon tube with a large surface area and allow the hops to float freely (ie. the "hop taco").
I've actually used it that way as well. The first brew I got it I forgot to put it in the kettle before adding my bittering charge, so I ended up just brewing as normally and then using the screen to filter everything out as it went into my bucket. It seemed to work fine.

I don't know that you'd be able to use much less mesh, however. The surface definitely clogs as it drains. Too small and it won't work.

I think FATC1TY is right that it's primarily a break issue. That looks to me like what coats mine at the end.

As a final note, there's been a ton of back-and-forth on here about perfecting this tool, which is awesome and I can't wait to see what the group comes up with as the ideal long-term solution -- but the bottom line is that this thing works. That annoying, vegetal note I used to get in highly-hopped beers where I didn't screen them out before fermentation is totally gone. That's why I'd keep using it even if it was less convenient than it actually is.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #415
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2670 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster

1) Possibly better utilization of hops; the hops are able to freely intermingle with more boiling water?

Again, not trying to down grade any work or testing that's been done to date, because I think thinking differently is awesome. Just trying to understand the thought process.
Well I've been following this thread I haven't been convinced to buy one, so needing an immediate solution and using only lead hops I bought a kettle tube screen from Bobby_M. It works amazingly well, I just dump lead hops in the kettle. An interesting side effect is that a lot of the break material sticks to the lead hops and they act as a filter bed of sorts. I am pulling crystal clear wort and getting only about a 1/2" of sediment to the fermenter if that. If I use pellets though that system doesn't work so I am still considering buying one of these if I see more people gushing over them.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #416
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Seems like lead hops would just sink to the bottom...lol...

@ FATCITY....Nice writeup! You really put that thing to the test. Looks like if there were that much hop matter left over in the wort, the 300 is perfect for those not needing "ultra fine" filtration. For a beer with less hops, I bet there'd be very little left in the kettle.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #417
marcb
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY
Okay fellas'-

Here's a few quick snapshots of what I had going on today with this kettle screen.

This is a 300 micron, 6x14 screen. I removed this from the kettle while the hot break took place and tossed it back in to avoid clogging it with the break material. I also left this in when I cooled and whirlpooled it all to sit and settle.

This was a double IPA I tossed together today. It was pretty straight forward.. had FWH, and then all the other additions from 20 min, on down to 0.

I used leaf Chinook for the FWH, only an ounce. I also used Chinook at 5 min, and it was also leaf, and only .50 ounce in there.

Total, I used 9 ounces of various hops ( Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, Simcoe ). They were all pellets, other than the Chinook.

I stirred inside of the screen periodically throughout the boil- and at every addition.

Here's a picture of the bottom of the screen after I pulled it, drained it slowly and let it sit. You can see what has made it through and coated the bottom.

There is a picture of how thick it is, I scraped a section.

Here's majority of it, dumped on a paper plate. This isn't a small cake plate, this is a normal sized paper plate. Had a decent bit caked inside of the screen.

I thought it did an okay job after settling out, at giving me some pretty clean wort.

I drained it into the funnel, and put a paint strainer in the funnel to see what would make it through. A little bit came out, but mostly clear until the end.....

Here's what I found at the bottom of the kettle, as well as what I got some the last bit from the kettle. It was a very fine sludge, pretty darn nasty, but this is what made it out of the screen during the boil. I could easily cup my hands together and it would be overflowing with what was left!

So.. for those looking at the larger micron, you will probably see more sludge in your kettle and fermenter. I wouldn't go too small, as you will run the risk of not getting the full use of the hops.

There really is no perfect fix for it I think, but atleast gives you a way to manage it. The wort tasted very bitter and hoppy, so I know I got what I wanted in there. Should be around 80-85 IBU's.
Hi, I'm still tripping out that you are seeing that much residue out of a 300! I use a false bottom in my kettle but the end of day residue when I'm cleaning out my kettle with the 300 is limited to a light coating on the FB. I will see if I have a pic of it. Chad is shipping me a 400 (to replace my 200 that was way too fine) so I will be able to do a side by side with those, maybe I should do a batch with just the 400 first as a control but I've never gotten that much sludge through my 300.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #418
marcb
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster

Sure, there are lots of ways to skin a cat.... I researched hop stoppers and spiders before going down this route and haven't really looked back, feel free to post photos and experiences with solving this problem in other ways to this thread, that's what it's all about!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #419
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post

By hop taco do you the hop stopper? I almost bought one until reading people's feedback that with break material + whirlfloc + pellet hops they clog easily and flow can slow down to a trickle. The most common work around was to drain slowly which again isn't ideal if you're doing single pass chilling as the bulk of your wort will remain hot.

I doubt there's a single fix all wonder product for this particular dilema, but I bet you'd get really good results pairing this basket + a hop stopper together.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #420
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Liked 2670 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
Seems like lead hops would just sink to the bottom...lol...
Ha! Autocorrect saves the day again.

Quick Reply