New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #401
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'll be honest folks.. I know some like the scientific side, and the whole home made engineering side, but it's really just complicating it to just make it fun I guess.

I have the 300. It clogs, evident by the pictures. I've figured it mostly to be the fact that I get break material stuck to it and it causes problems. My solution was to just put it in after I've had the hot break, or pull it as I start to heat the boil after my mash.

I also FWH pretty much every beer, and mostly with whole leaf. I could just toss them in the kettle if I was concerned with any loss in bittering or flavor while I do the hot break I suppose. Once I have the hot break, and it settles, I then consider that to be my starting point.

The filter does drain, despite being loaded out with say 7-8ounces of hop pellets. The boil isn't bubbling in it, but I haven't seen a noticeable decrease in hop flavor, aroma, or bittering in my beers with the filter.

I've resorted to pulling the filter when I'm done. Putting it in the funnel to drain into a carboy, and then draining my kettle into the carboy through the funnel. I have next to nothing in my carboys other than yeast. To be honest, I don't re use my yeast for the next batch, I might in the future, but currently don't, so it's little concern for me to keep the primary as clean as possible.

Also- trying to dial in a size might not be worthwhile really.. Pellets are ground down at many different places. They might all be different size particles, so it's pretty hard to try and figure it really.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #402
mattwood2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

For me I just want to minimize as much sludge but not at the expense of bittering...I'm a hop head! I've got my dimensions set and I've spoken to Chad but I'm still unsure if I should go 300 or 400 micron mesh. I'm leaning towards the 300 but if the 400 keeps most sludge out then I might go with that to avoid any drainage issues that might happen considering there seem to be mixed reports from folks. marcb you seem to be the resident gunniepig...when are you brewing with your 400??!!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #403
mcbaumannerb
All grain brewing now ... when I can find the time ... sigh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3427 Times on 1858 Posts
Likes Given: 11763

I haven't done any big hop beers with mine yet (a 6", 300 micron filter) but what I have done is stir inside the filter every 5 to 10 minutes during the boil. That gets the gunk (I've only used pellets with it so far) off the screen and as soon as I do I see boil activity inside the filter. I plan on doing an IIPA in a few weeks so I'll know more soon, but I have to believe the hop oils are getting out and mixed into the wort.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #404
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think that scraping is a good idea with these no matter what size you go with...that's something you can't really do with a hop bag.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #405
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood2000
For me I just want to minimize as much sludge but not at the expense of bittering...I'm a hop head! I've got my dimensions set and I've spoken to Chad but I'm still unsure if I should go 300 or 400 micron mesh. I'm leaning towards the 300 but if the 400 keeps most sludge out then I might go with that to avoid any drainage issues that might happen considering there seem to be mixed reports from folks. marcb you seem to be the resident gunniepig...when are you brewing with your 400??!!
That's me! As soon as I get it ; )

I finally got off my lazy derrière and shipped my 200 back to Chad so once he gets back I imagine I'll see it soon...... Then the plan is a 20 gallon batch of Pliny and split the massive hop bill (all pellets) in half which should be about 18oz in each basket broken up into 5 additions. So if they can handle this, they can handle anything.... I also figure that I'll know exactly what the 400 lets through as I know what to expect from the 300.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #406
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat0304 View Post
I used my new rig from Chad earlier this week and I am a little unsure on how it performed. I got it with the 300 micron filter, and was not getting very much flow through it with 2 oz of pellets in it.

Is there any consensus on whether these work well, or is the mesh too fine to allow for efficient diffusion of hop oils?
the boiling wort isn't free-flowing through the screen, but the is plenty enough exchange going on to get the oils out of there. it's not a perfect block. mix the contents of the filter a few times during the boil and you've got more than enough circulation IMO.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #407
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
the boiling wort isn't free-flowing through the screen, but the is plenty enough exchange going on to get the oils out of there. it's not a perfect block. mix the contents of the filter a few times during the boil and you've got more than enough circulation IMO.
Thats what I do.. You won't get the rise of bubbles of a boil through it, it won't happen because the screen will push it around it.

I stir in it, and move around in the boil once in a while, and I've had just fine hop utilization. I do plenty of IPA's and Pales, and love me some hops, and was worried from the get go about it. Turns out, it was just fine. A little more work, and worry, but I've got clean fermenters, and everthing was tasty.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #408
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Anybody have any pics of one of these hooked up to their e-keggle setup? I want one not sure how it would work with the element and keggle

Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #409
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew
Anybody have any pics of one of these hooked up to their e-keggle setup? I want one not sure how it would work with the element and keggle
How high up is your element? I know there are pics in here of ones for kegs, not sure if they were electric or not. Can you post some pics of your setup?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #410
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew View Post
Check post #237, 247, 248, 250 and 328.

Quick Reply