Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #381
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wow, great experience today as I tried something new. I left the basket in the brew kettle and let it drain while moving the wort through my plate chillers and to the fermenter. It worked great and condensed into a really easy to dump blob-o-hops. The wort tasted really hoppy to me but I haven't brewed this recipe before (I just made it up this morning) so I'll have to wait until it turns out to see if it is worth brewing again. Total of three hop additions went into the basket: 3oz for 60 min, 4oz for 20 min and 4 oz for 5 min. Total of 11oz and room for lots more in my basket if stirred.

image-2263713150.jpg   image-1646019360.jpg   image-3743784257.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #382
Bathtubbrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

subscribed

Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #383
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb
Wow, great experience today as I tried something new. I left the basket in the brew kettle and let it drain while moving the wort through my plate chillers and to the fermenter. It worked great and condensed into a really easy to dump blob-o-hops. The wort tasted really hoppy to me but I haven't brewed this recipe before (I just made it up this morning) so I'll have to wait until it turns out to see if it is worth brewing again. Total of three hop additions went into the basket: 3oz for 60 min, 4oz for 20 min and 4 oz for 5 min. Total of 11oz and room for lots more in my basket if stirred.
Forgot to add that I basically set up a whirlpool to recirc for the last ten minutes of the boil to sterilize the chiller rig and ended up just flipping on the cold water at flameout and leaving the recirc going while the wort cooled down to about 120 in roughly five minutes. I then started switched to pumping into the conical at full throttle and the wort was leaving the chiller at about 60 degrees. I aerated about 1/3 of the wort en route to the fermenter and had zero sludge in the bottom of the kettle, just a mild coating on the false bottom. When cleaning out the chillers with PBW there was zero gunk or break material during the cleaning cycle. Not sure why there wasn't more break material as this batch was on a full boil for 60 minutes.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #384
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Looks like the 300 performed with excellent results!

Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #385
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke
Looks like the 300 performed with excellent results!
Indeed! I had never left it in the pot to drain before and that worked wonderfully. Will do a similar test with the 400 when it arrives or brew a Pliny and use both side by side in the same vessel now that I know exactly the sludge out from the 300.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #386
mattwood2000
Recipes 

Hi guys I know this was mentioned a couple of times earlier in the thread but I never saw anyone post any results or statements that it was tested - whats the verdict on using one of these for steeping grain for an extract brew?

I'm about to request a quote for a 300 micron version just like runningfarmer's setup but if it would double as a grain "bag" for extract brewing I'd use it for that too...until I complete my all grain setup that is!

Thanks, Matt.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #387
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood2000
Hi guys I know this was mentioned a couple of times earlier in the thread but I never saw anyone post any results or statements that it was tested - whats the verdict on using one of these for steeping grain for an extract brew?

I'm about to request a quote for a 300 micron version just like runningfarmer's setup but if it would double as a grain "bag" for extract brewing I'd use it for that too...until I complete my all grain setup that is!

Thanks, Matt.
That's a damn fine idea. I'm sure it would work great.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #388
marcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood2000

Thanks, Matt.
Hi Matt,

Contact Chad, he recently built a 13"x9" one for this purpose. I would probably recommend the 400 for this purpose though as the 300 might be too fine for BIAB.
image-3544345005.jpg  

Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #389
mattwood2000
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
That's a damn fine idea. I'm sure it would work great.
Thanks for the reply - I'll be sure to report my test results when I do get it. My concern is if there would be any effects on the steep due to the pore size of the mesh, however the grain bag I currently use is much finer than the 300 micron filter I suspect. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on why NOT to do it.

- Matt.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #390
mattwood2000
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Hi Matt,

Contact Chad, he recently built a 13"x9" one for this purpose. I would probably recommend the 400 for this purpose though as the 300 might be too fine for BIAB.
Hi Marc what do you think the negative effect would be on having it too fine - just the drainage issue or something else?

Quick Reply