The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #371
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You would also need a beer done with no hops as a control.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #372
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
I just got a plate chiller and am so paranoid from all the stories of them getting gunked up.
You are still going to have some "gunk" in your plate chiller, even with this. Most of it can be eliminated with proper whirlpool technique, draining, and some sort of filter on the drain. Even then, there are particulates in your wort, suspended proteins, etc. that still can and will slip in. I have used a plate chiller for a long time and what I do it flush it after the brew day with boiling water in both directions. I then fill it with StarSan overnight. Never had an issue with it. I also rinse it again on brew day and StarSan it for at least 5 minutes before I use it.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #373
chads454
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hi all
Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
and to Thank you very much for The support you all have given me.
going on Vacation for a 10 day break

See ya all Next Year....

Old 12-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #374
D-MOTITAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Going to be ordering soon......Get some rest Chad.

unta gleeben glouten globen.......Def Leopard

Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #375
fafrd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At least for those still using direct-fired BK, has anyone tried resting one of these things directly on the kettle bottom (especially a larger-diameter unit)?

It seems like one of the concerns is hop utilization and boil/flow within the filter unit - if the filter screen is on the bottom of the BK, the bubbles formed by the boil may form on the inside of the screen, so that the wort on the inside of the screen is boiling.

Anyone tried this yet? Is there a downside to this that I am missing? Cost may be prohibitive, but the idea would be to use large-diameter mesh filter 'pot-within-a-pot' so all hop additions as well as wort-chiller are placed within the filter basket and only a 1-2" 'tube' of wort and the pickup tube are on the outside of the basket. You could probably even whirlpool within a big enough basket...

-fafrd

Old 12-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #376
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I rested mine on the bottom of my bk and saw the wort boiling inside the filter. I have successfully brewed three batches with mine, two of them were recipes that I have brewed before, and I could not tell any difference between the ones with the filter and the ones brewed with free floating hops.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #377
fafrd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHops View Post
I rested mine on the bottom of my bk and saw the wort boiling inside the filter. I have successfully brewed three batches with mine, two of them were recipes that I have brewed before, and I could not tell any difference between the ones with the filter and the ones brewed with free floating hops.
Thanks DrHops - getting the boil in the basket should go a long way toeards addressing any concerns about hop utilization. How do you chill and transfer? Do you whirlpool? What diameter filter do you use and would you see any advantage to an even larger diameter filter?

-fafrd

Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #378
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I chill and transfer with a 40 plate chiller gravity fed to my bucket. I don't need to whirlpool since I use the plate chiller. I'm not sure of the diameter, I bought one of the first ones from Chad off eBay, it is a 400 micron one.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #379
fafrd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got it - so you get all of the hop gunk out with the filter and then get through your plate chiller on the way into your fermentation vessel without worrying about trying to filter the cold-break out of the wort - sounds pretty effective.

Do you lift the filter out of the brew kettle before feeding the plate chiller or leave it in place and let the wort drain out from around it?

Several posts have shown the filter pretty much clogged with hops and containing a much higher level of wort than the surrounding pot (meaning that the pot is draining much faster than the filter) - do you see that?

I understand the filter you have is 400um, but could you provide a rough idea of the filter diameter and the BK diameter?

Most of my experience is with whole hops, but I'm planning to move to pellets and your experience with these filter baskets is helping me to decide on the solution I want to adopt.

-fafrd

Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #380
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 116 Posts

Brewing on a stormy day in California today, 20 gallon batch of an Amarillo Pale and I will test the limits of the 300 in this batch with about 12 oz of pellets. Will post pics as I go along....

image-844459663.jpg  

Quick Reply