Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #351
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanson95 View Post
I've got a 6x10 400 micron on the way - can't wait to use it in my 8g BK. I had the same experience as the others with Chad - great guy to deal with.
I am thinking about getting the same one. How much did it run you? If you get a chance next brew session, take a picture or two and post it. I am most interested in the difference between 300 and 400 micron and think 400 is making more sense to me right now. I don't care if I get a little bit of hops in the kettle...Also, do you use mainly pellets or leaf? I tend to use leaf but of course sometimes you have to use pellets as that is all you can find. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #352
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
I am thinking about getting the same one. How much did it run you? If you get a chance next brew session, take a picture or two and post it. I am most interested in the difference between 300 and 400 micron and think 400 is making more sense to me right now. I don't care if I get a little bit of hops in the kettle...Also, do you use mainly pellets or leaf? I tend to use leaf but of course sometimes you have to use pellets as that is all you can find. Thanks for any info you can provide!

There are plenty of pictures in the thread of the filters, by the way.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #353
hanson95
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer

The 6x10-400 cost $45. Like they say, "it didn't happen if there's no pics", so I'll definitely post them. I use mainly pellets, but would like to also start using whole hops. I had the same thoughts as you - I don't need to filter every granule out, so 400 is what I went with.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #354
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

hanson95 - Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it. That is right in my price range too, so it appears a win-win. Most interested in how much pellet dust you have in the kettle after the boil and drain. I was leaning toward the 400 to get good flow in and around the hops. I saw the 300 up close and think it is a little too closed for what I want.

FATC1TY: Yup...I read this whole string. See above for the pix detail I was looking for. I'm not one of those people I always have to say "Let me Google that for ya", if you know what I mean...

Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #355
pgrebus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Man...I do this a lot....inventing things that have already been invented. If only I had a time machine......
I already invented that

Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #356
hanson95
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer
hanson95 - Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it. That is right in my price range too, so it appears a win-win. Most interested in how much pellet dust you have in the kettle after the boil and drain. I was leaning toward the 400 to get good flow in and around the hops. I saw the 300 up close and think it is a little too closed for what I want.
Look what I got today...

After seeing it, I'm glad I went with 400 - I think it will be a good cross between filtering and hop utilization. And the 6x10 size looks like it will provide plenty of room in my BP for the hops to swim.

Also, I'm very happy with Chad as the vendor - I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy again from him. Unfortunately, I won't be brewing with it for a couple weeks, but I'll provide an update then.
image-2589872519.jpg   image-3560331256.jpg  

Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #357
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanson95

Look what I got today...

After seeing it, I'm glad I went with 400 - I think it will be a good cross between filtering and hop utilization. And the 6x10 size looks like it will provide plenty of room in my BP for the hops to swim.

Also, I'm very happy with Chad as the vendor - I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy again from him. Unfortunately, I won't be brewing with it for a couple weeks, but I'll provide an update then.
Awesome! I should have a 400 coming soon and look forward to putting it through its paces.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #358
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been following this thread and apologize if I already missed this. Has anyone down a side by side with the 300 and 400 with all pellets? I brew with mainly pellets and cannot decide between the 2. I don't mind a few extra tenths of an ounce here and there to account for utilization loss. I am looking to really clean up the wort heading into the fermenter.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #359
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 710 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 273

pix from my first brew session with the new filter. filter contains over 4 ounces of pellets (0.8 oz columbus, 3.2 oz simcoe, 0.5 oz citra). i had another 2 oz of free-floating cascade in the pot

i got the default-sized 300-micron filter, it fit perfectly on my 9 (10?) gallon pot. if i was to order again i might go with the 400, but i am perfectly happy with the 300. i had flow going through the filter. it wasn't perfect flow, but i wouldn't expect it to be - if water can flow through freely, so can the hop material.

i can recommend this purchase.

20121215_182349.jpg   20121215_182425.jpg  

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #360
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin
I have been following this thread and apologize if I already missed this. Has anyone down a side by side with the 300 and 400 with all pellets? I brew with mainly pellets and cannot decide between the 2. I don't mind a few extra tenths of an ounce here and there to account for utilization loss. I am looking to really clean up the wort heading into the fermenter.
Not that I have seen, I compared the 200 to the 300 and just shipped back my 200 to Chad to convert to a 400 so I can test it out. My objective was zero hop residue into my plate chillers before hitting the fermenter and the 300 accomplishes that nicely. I believe from what I have seen that the 400 would work as well without any issues but I won't know on my setup until i test it out. I will gladly post pics and plan on using both in my kettle at the same time with a reasonably high hop-billed DIPA.

Quick Reply