New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #311
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 113

^whirlfloc in the main kettle. Ill try my luck again later this month a couple times. I have a couple pilot batches I want to brew anyways.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #312
br1dge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin
I am thinking about having one of these sized for my current pot and the pot I am stepping up to in a few weeks. I have been doing volume calculations based on what I think would fit in my system (I thought I'd left that kind of math behind me years ago).

I'm stuck now at trying to figure out what volume of pellet hops a particular sized strainer would hold once the hops were saturated with wort. I can use a measuring cup to figure out what approximate physical volume an ounce of dried, pelletized hopes would occupy.

But is there a number or calculation out there that says, once they are saturated with wort and begin to expand, the hops will increase x% in size, or volume? Not sure exactly what calculation I am looking for, but surely someone has had to account for this expansion in terms of physical space before.
Winvarin - i don't know of a formula or assumption we could use to compare dry with wet pellet "volume." But this might help visualize the sizes and capacities - a 6 x 18 is 2.2 gallons of volume, a 8 x 18 equals 3.75 gallons, and a 12 x 18 equals 8.75 gallons. I spoke with stainless brewing about a custom size, and he suggested the 6 x 18 would hold 16 oz of pellet hops, guessing conservatively. Assuming a linear curve, a 8 x 18 would hold 28 oz, and a 12 x 18 would hold close to 60 ounces. (I didn't scale these precisely, btw) I believe he was speaking in terms of volume, not square area of surface.

Another poster pointed out the surface area does not grow to the extent volume does with larger sizes, which is true. The corresponding surface areas for these 3 sizes are 395, 552, and 904 sq inches, respectively. For further reference 904 sq " is a little bigger than 9 sq feet.

Go big or go home. :-)

Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #313
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Man...I do this a lot....inventing things that have already been invented. If only I had a time machine......

Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #314
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

I know that some highly regarded breweries (Stone for example) throw their hops right in the boil and also do a lot of whirlpool hopping. I'm gonna say it right now: The BEST way to get the BEST hop utilization during the boil is to free float your hops!

Whirlpooling is a very valuable process and is basically "free". It keeps everything in the center of the kettle and if the output is at the side it will avoid the majority of the hops.

If you're not specifically using a plate chiller, I am at a loss for a reason to filter down to 300 microns. The 400 micron model in this thread has gotten my interest though...and I wouldn't be unhappy with even less filtration (450-500?)....if 80% of the hop material stays in the basket, that would avoid most if not all problems with clogging/cleaning/fermenting/etc. and a whirlpool would take care of the rest.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #315
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So is this really that much better than a painters bag?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #316
br1dge

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82
So is this really that much better than a painters bag?
Probably not, but i'll try

1) It's stainless. Its more bling and it never wears out compared to a strainer
2) ability to stir inside hop container vessel, which in theory may increase utilization
3) easier to clean and sanitize
4) you will never misplace it, or run out of strainer bags
5) it doubles as a mash strainer/vorlauf, and even post boil filter
6) if you run electric, no worry it will touch element and melt
7) after your wort is cool, less,risk of infection removing paint strainer bags from bottom of boil kettle

Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #317
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have my paint strainer bag suspended over the wort similar to this http://billybrew.com/hop-filter-build so it works about the same and is better than a bag just tied over the side. If you run electric that would be an issue though I guess that's a minority of brewers.

For now I'm happy with the paint strainer but I do agree the stainless is much shinier and something about it makes me want one.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #318
winvarin

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1dge
I spoke with stainless brewing about a custom size, and he suggested the 6 x 18 would hold 16 oz of pellet hops, guessing conservatively. Assuming a linear curve, a 8 x 18 would hold 28 oz, and a 12 x 18 would hold close to 60 ounces. (I didn't scale these precisely, btw) I believe he was speaking in terms of volume, not square area of surface.
Are those numbers assuming saturated hops or just the amount of volume dry hops would fill?

I usually put no more than 2 ounces per muslin "hop sock" that swells to about softball size depending on how tight I tie it off. I have a stainless bowl and colander that I sanitize on brew day. After starting my IC I retrieve the hop bags. Colander goes into the bowl and the bags go into the colander. Once they stop draining, the liquid goes back into the wort and chills with everything else. Low tech but workable.

I'm stepping up to 10 gal batches this winter and this strainer might be a good alternative as my LHBS carries mostly pellets.

I am considering something on the order of 6x12 If my volume calculation is correct, that's something on the order of a 1.3 gallon vessel. Even saturated with wort, that would be a lot of pellet hops.

I'm considering also dropping a false bottom in the BK of the system I am putting together. For those times when I do use leaf hops, I could just toss them straight into the wort and let the FB catch them. The strainer would be for pellets only.

God love my dear wife. It's cost me 2 yrs of Christmas presents, but I've been given the go ahead to "buy the system you want. You get to do this once so get something you'll be happy with". I wonder if she realizes how big a can of worms she's opened?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #319
br1dge

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin

Are those numbers assuming saturated hops or just the amount of volume dry hops would fill?
?
I don't know, but its clearly not dry. I'd guess you could fit 3lbs of dry pellet hops in a gallon container. Also, My math or your math is wrong, cause I got over 2g of volume for a 6 x 18.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #320
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1dge View Post
Probably not, but i'll try

1) It's stainless. Its more bling and it never wears out compared to a strainer
2) ability to stir inside hop container vessel, which in theory may increase utilization
3) easier to clean and sanitize
4) you will never misplace it, or run out of strainer bags
5) it doubles as a mash strainer/vorlauf, and even post boil filter
6) if you run electric, no worry it will touch element and melt
7) after your wort is cool, less,risk of infection removing paint strainer bags from bottom of boil kettle
I'll add number 8....it's not made of plastic, nylon, etc. Way too many homebrewers are bringing their high temp wort into contact with plastics...whether it's vinyl tubing, a cooler mashtun, etc. I am really trying to get away from that because of off flavors and carcinogens.

Quick Reply