The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #301
dogbar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin
Here is a shot during knockout of my 3 gallon IPA earlier this week(half drained through CFC to fermenter). The filter had 39 grams of pellets in it going into 0 minutes.

I added my 0 minute addition directly to the kettle as I felt the utilization would be severely hindered in the filter.
That is really odd. Less than 1.5 ounces of hops? Mine looks nothing like that with double or more that amount.

I don't know how much the volume contained by the bigger strainer helps. The issue would be surface area to get/stay clogged/unclogged, right? And that doesn't grow nearly as dramatically as you go up in size.

I'm still going back to break material as a possible cause and difference. Although, hell, could it even be something as simple as different hops?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #302
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
Have you tried building one large/sturdy enough to hold grain for a reusable BIAB setup?
^^????^^

Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #303
dogbar
Recipes 

The builder can't respond due to forum rules. It's been talked about, but I haven't seen someone say they did it.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #304
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

I am thinking about having one of these sized for my current pot and the pot I am stepping up to in a few weeks. I have been doing volume calculations based on what I think would fit in my system (I thought I'd left that kind of math behind me years ago).

I'm stuck now at trying to figure out what volume of pellet hops a particular sized strainer would hold once the hops were saturated with wort. I can use a measuring cup to figure out what approximate physical volume an ounce of dried, pelletized hopes would occupy.

But is there a number or calculation out there that says, once they are saturated with wort and begin to expand, the hops will increase x% in size, or volume? Not sure exactly what calculation I am looking for, but surely someone has had to account for this expansion in terms of physical space before.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #305
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbar View Post
That is really odd. Less than 1.5 ounces of hops? Mine looks nothing like that with double or more that amount.

I don't know how much the volume contained by the bigger strainer helps. The issue would be surface area to get/stay clogged/unclogged, right? And that doesn't grow nearly as dramatically as you go up in size.

I'm still going back to break material as a possible cause and difference. Although, hell, could it even be something as simple as different hops?
I have the small size he sells on his ebay store with 300 micron mesh.

I did have a good hot break on my boil with BIAB so I'm sure there is elevated break material compared to my 3 kettle system.

Regardless - the performance speaks for itself. I wouldn't advise the use of this product for late addition hops, especially those from 10 minutes - flameout.

Perhaps the 400 micron with use of leaf hops might be a more viable system.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #306
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
Regardless - the performance speaks for itself. I wouldn't advise the use of this product for late addition hops, especially those from 10 minutes - flameout.
it's my understanding that the oils in hops get into solution rather quickly, so extended contact with boiling wort isn't that important. the oils are quickly washed out and then proceed to be isomerized, volatilized, etc in the wort.

i haven't used mine yet, but when i do i will use a ladle to spoon some wort from outside the hopper into it - essentially recirculating hot wort through the mesh when i add my late hops.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #307
jammin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
it's my understanding that the oils in hops get into solution rather quickly, so extended contact with boiling wort isn't that important. the oils are quickly washed out and then proceed to be isomerized, volatilized, etc in the wort.
"Quickly washed out" - lol. I wish(srsly). Hurry up and brew with it so you understand what we are talking about. Hopefully you have better luck than me - there is no way I was throwing my 0 minute addition in that train wreck of a filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i haven't used mine yet, but when i do i will use a ladle to spoon some wort from outside the hopper into it - essentially recirculating hot wort through the mesh when i add my late hops.
Cool, I look forward to hearing from you when you actually have some experience using it. I tried the ladle concept as well and found that it would not drain out into the kettle very quickly at all. In fact, I think you are just introducing more break material inside the filter leading to more clogging.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #308
dogbar
Recipes 

Quote:
I have the small size he sells on his ebay store with 300 micron mesh.
So maybe size really does matter. I have the 6x14 and am not having the same issues you are.

Quote:
Regardless - the performance speaks for itself.
I mean, I'd say the same thing. Except I'd mean that in a good way. It doesn't seem like performance on any one person's system can definitively predict performance on another's.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #309
jammin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbar View Post
So maybe size really does matter. I have the 6x14 and am not having the same issues you are.

I mean, I'd say the same thing. Except I'd mean that in a good way. It doesn't seem like performance on any one person's system can definitively predict performance on another's.
agreed! wish I was having better luck with mine.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #310
dogbar
Recipes 

Quote:
In fact, I think you are just introducing more break material inside the filter leading to more clogging.
Your photo does seem to show a better hot break than I get. Question: Do you use irish moss or whirlfloc? If the former, did you put some both in and out of the filter?

I use whirlfloc and just dropped the tab in the main kettle area. I wonder if the whirlfloc-y compounds are even making it across the screen. Maybe not? Maybe that's why less break material / clogging inside?

Quick Reply