Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #271
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,070
Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

just ordered mine, will report back once i get to use it... not sure when that'll be, might be a few weeks.

__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table. Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
sweetcell is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #272
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,608
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

I'm straight worried that my hop utilization will drop with this.

I've gotten 3 brews under my belt with it. In the middle of the 3rd with it so far, and I've found that it clogs a bit, and slows down the flow once you really start adding hops, and going deeper into the boil

I've got a couple of ounces.. probably... 4 or 5oz all pellets in mine right now, and when I pull it out, it's slow as HELL to drain. Infact when I drop it back in the pot, it floats a bit, before it slowly sinks because the screen is clogged. I do however, see hop sludge in the kettle when I'm done, and when I stir in the screen I can see some of it coming out through the screen a bit..

I have the 300 micron mesh..


Jury is still out, IMO. If the beers taste fine, and hoppy, then I'll roll with it.. Otherwise... ehhh.
Gonna see how the beers turn out, but man..

__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #273
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 1,253
Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I'm straight worried that my hop utilization will drop with this.

I've gotten 3 brews under my belt with it. In the middle of the 3rd with it so far, and I've found that it clogs a bit, and slows down the flow once you really start adding hops, and going deeper into the boil

I've got a couple of ounces.. probably... 4 or 5oz all pellets in mine right now, and when I pull it out, it's slow as HELL to drain. Infact when I drop it back in the pot, it floats a bit, before it slowly sinks because the screen is clogged. I do however, see hop sludge in the kettle when I'm done, and when I stir in the screen I can see some of it coming out through the screen a bit..

I have the 300 micron mesh..


Jury is still out, IMO. If the beers taste fine, and hoppy, then I'll roll with it.. Otherwise... ehhh.
Gonna see how the beers turn out, but man..
My thoughts EXACTLY! Same experience last weekend.

I think 400 mesh would be a better choice.
__________________
jammin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #274
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,608
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
My thoughts EXACTLY! Same experience last weekend.

I think 400 mesh would be a better choice.

I"m wondering if the 400 would clog less.... but then.. if it did even half as bad as the 300 does, then I would see the 400 being worse.

I'm tempted to just go to tossing all my hops in the boil again if they are pellets, and keep the leaf in here only.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #275
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,061
Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY

I"m wondering if the 400 would clog less.... but then.. if it did even half as bad as the 300 does, then I would see the 400 being worse.

I'm tempted to just go to tossing all my hops in the boil again if they are pellets, and keep the leaf in here only.
You make no sense.
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #276
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,061
Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin

My thoughts EXACTLY! Same experience last weekend.

I think 400 mesh would be a better choice.
I'm starting to think along the same lines, I had 12oz of pellets in here for a batch last week and it drained pretty slow. I need to get off my butt and ship back my 200 so I can test out the 400 and see how it does.
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #277
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,068
Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
You make no sense.
What? I understand perfectly well.. You just need more homebrew.
__________________
sudbuster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #278
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,608
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
You make no sense.
No, what makes no sense is how this thing clogs up so damn bad, even CLEANING it out, it holds water in it after I've dumped the hops.



This is all the hops I used.. Roughly.. 4 ounces, maybe 5oz.



This is the strainer.. with the hops dumped, and I've taken my hose with a HP tip and sprayed water back through the strainer from the outside. No real large clumps of hops in there, all dumped. It's so clogged, it's holding water long enough I can drop the hose, and pull out my phone to take a picture.



Here's a side view of said hop dam. I stopped spraying a section from the outside. Notice to the left, the water INSIDE of the screen.

If I can't get the wort out of it, how on earth would one assume that it's boiling your hops and running it through all of the wort in the pot. This screen is essentially once it gets clogged up, it's own mini kettle in a kettle.

I'm hoping I got some hop flavor in my beer, I would think I got some, but to what extent. I still had hop particulate in the kettle when I whirlpooled and drained it, much less than in the past, but still had some none the less.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #279
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,608
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
What? I understand perfectly well.. You just need more homebrew.

He's probably somewhat offended in his find that now people realize they aren't the cats ass.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
bottlebomber Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #280
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,061
Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY

No, what makes no sense is how this thing clogs up so damn bad, even CLEANING it out, it holds water in it after I've dumped the hops.

This is all the hops I used.. Roughly.. 4 ounces, maybe 5oz.

This is the strainer.. with the hops dumped, and I've taken my hose with a HP tip and sprayed water back through the strainer from the outside. No real large clumps of hops in there, all dumped. It's so clogged, it's holding water long enough I can drop the hose, and pull out my phone to take a picture.

Here's a side view of said hop dam. I stopped spraying a section from the outside. Notice to the left, the water INSIDE of the screen.

If I can't get the wort out of it, how on earth would one assume that it's boiling your hops and running it through all of the wort in the pot. This screen is essentially once it gets clogged up, it's own mini kettle in a kettle.

I'm hoping I got some hop flavor in my beer, I would think I got some, but to what extent. I still had hop particulate in the kettle when I whirlpooled and drained it, much less than in the past, but still had some none the less.
I've had lots of beer made using this and my hop utilization has been fine, certainly better than it has ever been in bags. Cleaning it is also a snap.... Maybe you ended up with 200 micro instead of 300?? After reading posts of people that use the 400 including Tom from Adventures in Homebrewing I'm definitely thinking that the 400 offers better circulation and draining but am unsure at how much trub will be left behind since I haven't used one.....
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning gunk in the bottom of bottles jfr1111 Equipment/Sanitation 7 Yesterday 06:44 PM
Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! BrewThruYou Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-04-2013 10:59 PM
ID this gunk please OregonBrews Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-09-2010 01:10 AM
Better Bottle and blowoff gunk winvarin Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-27-2010 01:28 PM
How much gunk? JerD Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-21-2010 01:33 AM