Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #231
Sark
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What size/dimensions would you guys recommend for a 10 gallon kettle? I'm brewing 5.5 gallon batches, usually with a starting volume of around 6.75. I'd also like to make sure I have enough room in the basket for dipas (like pliny) from time to time.

Thanks very much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #232
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

@ Marcb, that's a nice cone! Can't see your diptube, but if you have one that is turned to the side, you would probably be in good shape. Also not sure of your chilling method, but you might be able to get away with 75% of your hops in the filter, and the final additions added directly into the wort for max effect. If you use a plate chiller, it wouldn't work...but an IC or CFC could handle this.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #233
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just had a thought about splitting the filter into 2 sides (could also just have 2 filters, but it would be nice to have just one piece of equipment to put in the kettle). Simply a vertical piece of SS (non mesh) that divides the cylinder lengthwise into two sides. Could use side A for early hop additions, and side B for late hop additions. I was thinking it would give more room so that side B wouldn't have to compete with the sludge already there in side A. Another thing that could be done is have different mesh sizes for each side, one for pellets and one for whole. Some cons might be added cost, and possible decreased hop interaction with the wort.

Thoughts / opinions on doing something like that?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #234
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That's not a bad idea...the divider wouldn't have to be permanent either...just a good friction fit. No need to have a coarser mesh for whole hops...they won't clog the "pores" like pellets do.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #235
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
I'm perfectly happy with my 300, there does still seem to be a fair amount of separation from the wort. I will likely try out the 400 but based on the reports I have seen I do not think you'll have any issues with either. I had a lot of fun brewing a big 2BBL batch of Pliny clone yesterday with over 10lbs of hops on the bill.... Forgot what a pain in the a$$ bags were especially with a monster DIPA like Pliny. We eventually said screw it and Tossed in the flameout addition directly in the kettle, even with whirlpool it was a sludge fest!
Cool, thanks for the thoughts

I think I'll mention it to a few people who may be looking to get me something for christmas, and specify the 400. I don't mind a little sludge getting in there so going bigger doesn't bother me really, plus it seems like it probably doesn't let much more through anyways.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #236
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnoiz
Just had a thought about splitting the filter into 2 sides (could also just have 2 filters, but it would be nice to have just one piece of equipment to put in the kettle). Simply a vertical piece of SS (non mesh) that divides the cylinder lengthwise into two sides. Could use side A for early hop additions, and side B for late hop additions. I was thinking it would give more room so that side B wouldn't have to compete with the sludge already there in side A. Another thing that could be done is have different mesh sizes for each side, one for pellets and one for whole. Some cons might be added cost, and possible decreased hop interaction with the wort.

Thoughts / opinions on doing something like that?
That's interesting, I think I would still prefer two separate ones (a 300 and a 400) but whatever works for you. I like the idea of having the divider be removable (maybe a stainless plate in slots) for bigger IPA's.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #237
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Got mine today. Very nicely made and packaged and very quick turn around time. Thanks Chad.

6" x 14"

Smaller one for keg

Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #238
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

What's the keg filter for?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #239
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
What's the keg filter for?
I ferment in kegs. I want to try this out for filtering hot/cold break and possible flameout hop additions I throw directly into the boil kettle.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #240
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I got mine today as well.. I got a 6in by 14in one made up.

Looks much nicer than the ones pictured, very much like the one Yambor44 has. Clean welds, no sharp corners or anything on mine. Seems very sturdy, and hangs on my 12 gallon pot very nicely.

Will use to Saturday for some wimp hopping schedule on a Porter, less than 2 oz in there of pellets.

However, next weekend, I will be doing an IPA or APA, and haven't decided on the hopping schedule as I have so many type of hops to play with, but I have plenty of leaf and pellet, and will end up tossing both in there. Will take pictures as well of it loaded.. Will probably be somewhere north of 6-10oz in there when it's all said and done.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply