The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #201
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Looks awesome! I would love one of those, how's the clean up looks like it would be pretty ruff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #202
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungry4hops
Looks awesome! I would love one of those, how's the clean up looks like it would be pretty ruff!
Clean up is a snap. Invert the unit and the hop gunk plops right out, hose it off and you are good to go.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #203
CraigT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

image-815299111.jpg

Maybe not as nice looking as chads, but I made this on my lunch break today at work. I'm excited to try it. It's 6 inch diameter and 18 inches tall, made for my keggle. Thanks to chad and the op for the inspiration!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #204
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Wow. Nice!

It looks like marcb was able to work with someone to create a new product. This type of information exchange is what the board is all about.

At this point, however, it looks like there should be enough information for anyone to contact the seller directly. If the seller want to talk about this product on equal footing with other vendors the seller should consider contacting the admin about a vendor account.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #205
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I bought one to try, if it doesn't work for me, I'll pass it on to someone else locally I reckon.

After my brew day the other week using whole leaf hops and the problems I had there, I need a strainer that works better.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #206
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you generally use that many whole hops, you're in better shape than you think. You can actually get away with a false bottom, bazooka tube (my favorite), or some other coarse straining method. Pellet hops are just a PITA...too bad they're cheaper, keep longer, and are more readily available.

But ya still gotta deal with the gunk...there's no way around it

Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #207
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

BTW, I've been thinking there may be some value in buying 2 small baskets vs. 1 large. I think there's a point of "critical mass" you reach once you put too many pellets in the basket. The sludge restricts flow....and it blunts the diffusion of later hop additions....especially those 5 and 0 minute additions. Think about it....do you really think that there's any worthwhile diffusion of alpha acids past the screen when you throw new hops into an already very thick hop sludge? Maybe...but certainly not as much as there needs to be.

So maybe it's worthwhile to have a bittering basket and an aroma basket? Or, get rid of the bittering hops, wash it out, around T-10 mins and then add the aroma hops?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #208
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
BTW, I've been thinking there may be some value in buying 2 small baskets vs. 1 large. I think there's a point of "critical mass" you reach once you put too many pellets in the basket. The sludge restricts flow....and it blunts the diffusion of later hop additions....especially those 5 and 0 minute additions. Think about it....do you really think that there's any worthwhile diffusion of alpha acids past the screen when you throw new hops into an already very thick hop sludge? Maybe...but certainly not as much as there needs to be.

So maybe it's worthwhile to have a bittering basket and an aroma basket? Or, get rid of the bittering hops, wash it out, around T-10 mins and then add the aroma hops?
You know.. I had that same thought.. I really did.. Grab two of the 4in baskets, and put on each side. If you don't pack them, then you will have no issues what so ever.

Once you start tossing tons of hops in, then you get issues I think.

I ordered the 14 on since I needed the extra space, and it's 6in opening.

I generally use whole leaf. I've got a ton of it around here of various kinds, but I do use pellets in stuff that I don't have on hand.

I'm thinking for the FWH, I can put the tube from the tun into the strainer with my hops and let it run over them easily as well.

I might end up getting another tube. I will see how much whole leaf I can cram in there.. Might need two of them for the big DIPA's I do. I think I'll be okay for MOST beers doing this. Worse case, I toss the whole whole leaf right in.. I just need to cut down on the crap in the kettle.

I also thought, hey, for the flame out additions, since they are generally the bigger ones, I could just pull the strainer if it's full, or I could use a hop bag I keep around for the last addition. Since it's not boiling any more I have no issues "floating it" in the kettle. I'll have to play around with it. Hopefully this strainer will work for what I want to do. I was pretty irritated with that mess I had in the kettle. I don't want a bazooka tube in the kettle though.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #209
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I've all but given up on hop spiders/bags at this point for my really hoppy IPAs. I find that I lose way too much hop flavor and aroma. I just filter the outgoing chilled wort into the fermenter. It's just so much easier and my beer has improved as a result.

"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #210
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmcgee View Post
I've all but given up on hop spiders/bags at this point for my really hoppy IPAs. I find that I lose way too much hop flavor and aroma. I just filter the outgoing chilled wort into the fermenter. It's just so much easier and my beer has improved as a result.
For big IPA's, I put the bittering hops in my regular spider, but each addition is then in it's own bag floating around. I've done head-to-head tasting of my Pliny clone against the original and my bittering and aroma came out much better than theirs.

I've really been thinking about one of these SS baskets, but the regular spider has been working pretty good for me.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Quick Reply