Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #181
chads454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here's a couple new requests.

1inch-drop.jpg   1inchdrop.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #182
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyled93

Hey BullGator, if your in the South Florida area you can come see the one I bought. Let me know.
Thanks for the offer but I moved to Charlotte a few years ago. I would have took you up on that if I was still down there.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #183
BullGator
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator
I use a hop spider to contain my hops. Can someone who used to use a hop spider and now uses one of these give a rundown of the plus and minuses of this stainless steel screen? Thanks.
Anybody?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #184
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Not having to weight the bag down (I've used butter knives and stainless nuts in the past) and not worrying about hops sticking to the sides of a constantly twisting bag would be two major pluses that a ridged "cage" would have over the traditional spider. Another plus I am looking at (as an electric brewer) is that a cage would be built at a specific length whereas each time I use my spider, I have to re-measure the length of the bag to avoid letting it contact my heating element. Like so many things in brewing, the only real drawback to a cage would be initial cost versus a spider.

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-C...9089362?ref=hl

Old 11-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #185
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Mine arrived yesterday, ahead of schedule. Pleasantly surprised by how sturdy it is.

IPA time this weekend. Thanks, Chad.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #186
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
These looked interesting, but I believe that vendor is doing themselves a great disservice by displaying a $30 price, only to find that it's really at least $80.

I messaged the ebay seller to see if they would do customized versions.
I just want make sure some are comparing apples to apples as far as the actual size and price paid for Chad's baskets vs ours. A lot of pictures on here show 6" but the $29 basket on Ebay has a description of 4". I feel we're pretty fair on price as well compared to Chad's. Being a homebrewer myself and a preferred vendor we can always help out with cheaper alternatives. I'm not knockin on Chad's products or trying to steal anyone's thunder, I just wanted to point a few things out if some didn't see that we're not far off on price.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/stai...6/index29.html
I know I'm a bit late on the reply, but I did want to clarify my comment back on page 1 that you referenced. I wasn't saying anything negative about your product, or even that it wasn't possibly worth the price tag.

I simply commented that I didn't care for how you (or your web guy) had laid out on the site that shows a $28 price with a drop down showing higher prices when you selected basket type.

I personally probably would have laid it out paragraph style with radio buttons, but that's just my own personal opinion.

There are pro's and con's to both your offering and Chad's and at least the most similar models seem to be within a few bucks (20 +/-) of each other so consumers can make the decision that works best for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabba View Post
High prices only help the seller, the taker of the money; price wars benefit all the consumers and the little guy who ain't got much in his pocket.
I can't agree with this. Constant price wars, coupled with other external elements are what's led to so much manufacturing being moved overseas, mainly to China. This has a trickle down effect of loss of skill manufacturing labor, jobless, lesser state and federal tax revenue which leads to less available funding for state and federal infrastructure etc etc etc.

Sure, it's driven pricing down to the consumer at the expense of product longevity and sometimes toxic health risks. Tools for example I will always spend extra to buy USA made, even if it's 50% higher or more. The original cost savings of buying price warred foreign manufactured tools is quickly obliterated when they break/fail/wear out quickly and have to be replaced.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #187
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Cool. I love it when new stuff comes out and is made by "regular" guys.

I've done lots of experimenting with mesh...for the purposes of filtering grains as well as hops. I was originally working on a system that would filter the mash with a huge mesh basket, then once cleaned out it could be used for whole or pellet hops. I couldn't find the sweet spot. 30x30 mesh is just about right for pellet hops...but too fine for grain. 20x20 mesh is almost right for grain, but too coarse for hops. I was either passing grain through or having the mesh clog and overflow.

I kinda reverted back to the traditional mashtun w/FB but kept looking at options for the boil. Something like this with rigid sides is better than a bag which envelopes the hops and forms that "softball" too quickly...when the hops ball up you're barely getting to what is in the center...try it and see....sometimes the pellets stay whole.

IF you were to do a big hop bill around a pound, you might want to consider using 2 of these filters. That's just too much sludge and you won't get any diffusion.

OR, you could try to stir the hops inside.

OR, you could run wort slowly into the filter thereby forcing wort through the hops...be careful not to overflow. In fact, if you get overflow, that is a big indicator of too fine of a mesh. Scraping the sides can help.

Another option is to split the hop bill between leaf and pellets, then free float the leaf while you filter the pellets. If you have a bazooka screen or diverter on your pickup tube, it should be fine.

Lots of ways to brew beer, none are wrong.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #188
Jukas
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Marcb, did you ever do your Pliny clone with the 300 micron version? If so how did it hold up?

Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #189
marcb
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas
Marcb, did you ever do your Pliny clone with the 300 micron version? If so how did it hold up?
Unfortunately not---I get to brew 60 gallons of it next weekend on a commercial rig though! For 20 gallon batches I need over 16 oz of hop additions for Pliny so two of these will probably be necessary. I think one is fine for 10 gallon batches though!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #190
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I wonder how much whole leaf I could shove in the model on eBay. I have a 11gal pot, and normally buy my hops in leaf early in the season for the bulk of my purchases..

I do some IPA's that have roughly 1/2# in them easily, and swelled up 8-9oz of whole leaf is a fair bit.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply