Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #131
chads454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
Chad, would you be willing to make a spider version?

4 legs on the top ring, to center the basket
Sure send me some ideas with dimensions.

Last edited by chads454; 10-15-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: misspelled wording

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #132
Kyled93
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I will be brewing this weekend work my 300 Micron one I received from Chad. They fit great in the Penrose kettles too.

forumrunner_20121015_072955.jpg

forumrunner_20121015_073023.jpg

Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #133
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyled93
I will be brewing this weekend work my 300 Micron one I received from Chad. They fit great in the Penrose kettles too.
I was thinking about getting one of these for my penrose kettle too. What dimensions did you get?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #134
CraigT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread has given me a few ideas. I will probably make one of these for my keggle. I work in a sheet metal shop so I can just do this when I have a few extra minutes at work. But I was thinking. It would also be neat to make one of these that is about 12-14 inches in diameter and whatever hight I can fit in my keggle and use it for mashing grains. Kind of do a large biab type thing. Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime just for something different.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #135
Kyled93
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46

I was thinking about getting one of these for my penrose kettle too. What dimensions did you get?
I bought the standard. 6" dia by 14" 300 micron. Just a note: It doesn't sit on the bottom of the kettle. I think our dimensions for the Penrose kettles are 15.75 dia by 19" tall. On a typical 10 gallon batch we are looking at least 7" of exposure with this filter.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #136
Gabba
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well, I just got one of these, heres my thoughts on it:

300 micron, it looks like it'll work, but I won't be showing this off to my buddies - the welds are pretty ugly, lots of different colors from red to black to green in some places and a few sharp parts - I've already pricked my finger once and drawn blood. Wife saw it and freaked out, started looking for my last tetanus shot records, she finally calmed down

I've tried it in a few brews and it works good, filtering out all the hop gunk, 300 micron is the way to go for sure, but for $50, I kinda expected something that looked a little better. When I get the money together for a single tier set up, I'll probably be replacing it with something that looks nicer (and that doesn't bleed me!!)

all in all, if you're looking for a budget hop stopper, this will do the trick, but you get what you pay for.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #137
chads454
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabba View Post
Well, I just got one of these, heres my thoughts on it:

300 micron, it looks like it'll work, but I won't be showing this off to my buddies - the welds are pretty ugly, lots of different colors from red to black to green in some places and a few sharp parts - I've already pricked my finger once and drawn blood. Wife saw it and freaked out, started looking for my last tetanus shot records, she finally calmed down

I've tried it in a few brews and it works good, filtering out all the hop gunk, 300 micron is the way to go for sure, but for $50, I kinda expected something that looked a little better. When I get the money together for a single tier set up, I'll probably be replacing it with something that looks nicer (and that doesn't bleed me!!)

all in all, if you're looking for a budget hop stopper, this will do the trick, but you get what you pay for.
Well here we are again on what a, Non sanded, non polished, not electropolished, Stainless Steel weld looks like.
Here is a better picture of them,

As for getting picked sorry I do what I can to sand the edges and try to keep the wire edges from sticking out and getting someone picked,
Yes they can be electropolished and look pretty for your friends.
at around $50ea but everyone is trying to find a reasonably priced solution for the gunk,
ss-drum-lid-005.jpg  

Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #138
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 136

The welds above look very nice. All kinds of colors are fine and completely normal except Black. Most likely sugaring took place because of lack of Argon or too much heat and rust will start to form. All other colors of the rainbow are completely normal.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #139
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
The welds above look very nice. <snip> All other colors of the rainbow are completely normal.
THIS.

people are getting their panties in a knot over something that doesn't matter. it is not unhealthy and won't effect your brew. folks are brewing in discarded, dented, rough-cut keggles - and they're worried about this?

get rid of the colors by sanding them yourself or paying a whole lot more for a sanded/polished/plated unit.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
People Like This 
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #140
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think that many people are worked up about it. The welds look nice. Great value.

Quick Reply