Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #121
timmah84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just ordered a 4x11 filter with 300 microns. Chad was great with communication, and replied back quickly. He's going to try and get my order in this weekend, but it sounds like he has a lot of orders to do. I paid an extra 10 bucks for it over the advertised ebay listing as it was a custom order.

I can't wait to try it out! only thing I am concerned about is fitting my wort chiller in my 11 gal pot with it. I figure I'll put it inside of it when I start sanitizing. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Also, thanks mods for keeping this civil!

Kegged: None

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #122
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the 400 micron version and very little of the pellet hops got through the mesh.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

sweetcell Likes This 
Old 10-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #123
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I was bummed when this thread got disrespectful and was closed. I was really interested in people's opinions on this (especially on the 300/400 size experiences). I was going to PM the mod to see if they would delete the nasties and reopen, but they beat me to it.

Super awesome forum here. Such great info. I think I read 10,000x more than I post.

Thanks, Yuri!

Old 10-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #124
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm also interested in hearing the differences on 300 vs 400, glad it's reopened.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #125
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2663 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Has anyone tried to max one of these out yet to see how much they will hold? It seems like a 6"x10" cylinder should be able to handle at least 6 ounces of pellet hops. I need to wait for the wife to forget about some of my recent purchases before I pull on one of these but I would be good to know what they can handle. I absolutely hate dealing with hop sacks. I have literally just thrown them away full of hops over digging them out and cleaning them. It would be awesome to just pull one of these out, drain it and knock the hops into the yard waste barrel spray clean and put it away.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #126
marcb
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Has anyone tried to max one of these out yet to see how much they will hold? It seems like a 6"x10" cylinder should be able to handle at least 6 ounces of pellet hops. I need to wait for the wife to forget about some of my recent purchases before I pull on one of these but I would be good to know what they can handle. I absolutely hate dealing with hop sacks. I have literally just thrown them away full of hops over digging them out and cleaning them. It would be awesome to just pull one of these out, drain it and knock the hops into the yard waste barrel spray clean and put it away.
My next batch will be Pliny with well over a pound, we'll see how much it will take!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #127
marcb
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
My next batch will be Pliny with well over a pound, we'll see how much it will take!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #128
chads454
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

HI Everyone
Just though I'd post a few pictures of the components in the 6" filters
1st) are all the pieces, The 2- 6 inch rings, 2 pieces of the mesh for the cylinder and the bottom.
2nd) the cylinder is rolled and seam welded, the bottom stretched, wrapped, and spot welded to the bottom ring.
3rd) the top ring is spot welded the the cylinder and the bottom is slid up into the cylinder and spot welded.
last) the top handle and tab are TIG welded on

chads454@yahoo.com

build-002.jpg   build-003.jpg   build-004.jpg   build-006.jpg  

Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #129
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chads454
HI Everyone
Just though I'd post a few pictures of the components in the 6" filters
1st) are all the pieces, The 2- 6 inch rings, 2 pieces of the mesh for the cylinder and the bottom.
2nd) the cylinder is rolled and seam welded, the bottom stretched, wrapped, and spot welded to the bottom ring.
3rd) the top ring is spot welded the the cylinder and the bottom is slid up into the cylinder and spot welded.
last) the top handle and tab are TIG welded on

chads454@yahoo.com
Chad, would you be willing to make a spider version?

4 legs on the top ring, to center the basket

Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #130
gjabball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

I used my 300 micron filter today brewing a pumpkin ale and it worked great. I am very happy with the purchase. It kept almost all the hop material out of the boil kettle and fermenter. I will be buying a second one soon for my larger brew pot. Thanks Chad!

Quick Reply