The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #1081
johnsonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 11
Default

I got the carboy version of that, dropped an ounce of hops in. Just pulled it out and holyhell did the hops expand and just packed so tightly, I doubt most of the aroma even touched the beer. Thinking I may need to figure out how to let the hops expand before dropping all the way in.

EDIT: Anyone have any experience / advice on the expansion issue? And link to the carboy screen: http://arborfab.com/ocart/index.php?...&product_id=74

Also, got a kettle screen as well. Is pretty awesome, cleans up easy, doesn't plug up. Quality & workmanship are great.

__________________
johnsonic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #1082
bunt1828
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 27
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Yeah, I've already decided the carboy version is too small for me, even for dry hopping. I think at this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the corny dry hop version. My only issue is that at some point in the (hopefully) near future I plan on upgrading from an 8gal kettle to 15gal and I don't want have to buy two hop strainers (one that will fit in my current kettle will be ~6" from the bottom of a 15gal kettle). I'm hoping the corny version can work double duty until I've got the funds/space for the larger pot.

__________________
bunt1828 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #1083
grathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: albany ny, NY
Posts: 1,503
Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonic View Post
I got the carboy version of that, dropped an ounce of hops in. Just pulled it out and holyhell did the hops expand and just packed so tightly, I doubt most of the aroma even touched the beer. Thinking I may need to figure out how to let the hops expand before dropping all the way in.

EDIT: Anyone have any experience / advice on the expansion issue? And link to the carboy screen: http://arborfab.com/ocart/index.php?...&product_id=74

Also, got a kettle screen as well. Is pretty awesome, cleans up easy, doesn't plug up. Quality & workmanship are great.
The screen tube fits around the auto-siphon tube. So I throw the pellets in loose and put the screen around the auto-siphon when racking.

Honestly though, I forgot the tube the last 2 times I've dry-hopped and not a single speck of hop has transferred to keg.
__________________
grathan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #1084
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
stonebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: rockville, md
Posts: 836
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
I keep clogging mine with break material. ANyone using a coarser mesh than the 400?
Happens to me as well when I recirculate through the filter when chilling. I end up using two filters, one I put in at the end of the boil and recirculate through (cause I have a second one...bought a smaller one then went to 10G and needed the larger diameter one). You can "wash" some of the gunk off by spraying the outside with wort, but that has very limited results. I have clogged two before as well. Break and hops tend to do that and I don't see a lot of options. I have cleaned the second one before and dropped it back in, but you risk infection doing this...
__________________
stonebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #1085
reelmower
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC, South Carolina
Posts: 41
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Looks like rotary screen printing mesh. It's like screen printing tee shirts .. except this is for high quality printed consumer product labels. The mesh is much tighter than tee shirt printing mesh. The ink is pumped into the cylinder .. and squeezed out. That's pretty tight .. I'm not sure you would get good hop extraction .. the hop resin may not be able to get out of tight screen mesh efficiently. I spent 25 years in this type of printing industry. I would probably rather go with a hop bag (paint strainer) .. or nothing at all .. and just toss them in the pot.

__________________
reelmower is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #1086
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sherwood, Arkansas
Posts: 662
Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonic View Post
I got the carboy version of that, dropped an ounce of hops in. Just pulled it out and holyhell did the hops expand and just packed so tightly, I doubt most of the aroma even touched the beer. Thinking I may need to figure out how to let the hops expand before dropping all the way in.

EDIT: Anyone have any experience / advice on the expansion issue? And link to the carboy screen: http://arborfab.com/ocart/index.php?...&product_id=74

Also, got a kettle screen as well. Is pretty awesome, cleans up easy, doesn't plug up. Quality & workmanship are great.
I use the screen as a yeast/trub/hop filter for when Im transfering from the fermenter to the keg. It works wonderful and dont have to worry about keeping the siphon up off the trub, and Im able to get more of the beer out that way.
__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottle Conditioning/Carbonating: Jasmine Green Tea Blonde
Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide
Adeering is offline
TUCK Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #1087
NC_Brewmaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
Happens to me as well when I recirculate through the filter when chilling. I end up using two filters, one I put in at the end of the boil and recirculate through (cause I have a second one...bought a smaller one then went to 10G and needed the larger diameter one). You can "wash" some of the gunk off by spraying the outside with wort, but that has very limited results. I have clogged two before as well. Break and hops tend to do that and I don't see a lot of options. I have cleaned the second one before and dropped it back in, but you risk infection doing this...
I've been thinking about buying one of these specifically for separating trub towards the end of the boil. I can't whirlpool due to a heating element in the BK and thought about recirculating into one of these for the last 15 min of the boil. I plan on using a second one for my hops but am mainly interested in feedback on how well it works for trub collection. I'm wondering if it constantly clogs. Also interested in what size mesh to use. Thanks!
__________________
NC_Brewmaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #1088
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
stonebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: rockville, md
Posts: 836
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

NC_Brewmaster: remember size matters! So my experience has been that the smaller diameter screens, having less surface area, clog faster, which should make perfect sense. So my advice would be to get the 6" versus the 4" diameter one if you are choosing between the two. My experience has been if I am just using it to recirculate, neither one clogs. So why recommend the 6"? When I use it in the boil, they both tend to clog, with the 4" doing it every single time I have used it except when I am using less than 2 oz of hops (rare!). In the boil, the hop matter clogs it AND the break material/proteins tend to cling to the screen and clog it. But if I pop it in near the end of the boil to sanitize it and then filter through it, I have had no problems. I also use it as I drain the mash tun to catch grain particle...usually only getting a tiny amount, but there have been times when I have disturbed the false bottom that I have gotten a couple of spoons of grain. Best of luck!

__________________
Preparing: Nada
Fermenting: Zombie Dust Clone
Conditioning: Nada
On tap: Arrogant Bastard Clone, Zombie Dust Clone
Kicked: Heady the Elder, keg 2/2
stonebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #1089
NC_Brewmaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
NC_Brewmaster: remember size matters! So my experience has been that the smaller diameter screens, having less surface area, clog faster, which should make perfect sense. So my advice would be to get the 6" versus the 4" diameter one if you are choosing between the two. My experience has been if I am just using it to recirculate, neither one clogs. So why recommend the 6"? When I use it in the boil, they both tend to clog, with the 4" doing it every single time I have used it except when I am using less than 2 oz of hops (rare!). In the boil, the hop matter clogs it AND the break material/proteins tend to cling to the screen and clog it. But if I pop it in near the end of the boil to sanitize it and then filter through it, I have had no problems. I also use it as I drain the mash tun to catch grain particle...usually only getting a tiny amount, but there have been times when I have disturbed the false bottom that I have gotten a couple of spoons of grain. Best of luck!
Stonebrewer - Thanks for the quick response! Totally understand the surface area equation and was not going to go with the 4". I have a 20 gal BK and was planning on going with the 6" x 11" or 6" x 12". I have room for two of them so thought to use one for the hops and then drop the second one in towards the end of the boil to recirculate the wort through it. In your experience is this an effective way to separate the hot break?

My main reason for looking at these is because I have been having issues getting all of my wort out of the BK. I have a mesh screen that covers my pick up tube, essentially a hop stopper, but it gets clogged and pulls a ton of bubbles through into the pump. The last couple of batches I've had to ramp up the recipe due to the fact that I'm leaving 2-3 gal of wort in the kettle . I thought if I could separate most of the hot break out into this filter I could remove the hop stopper and collect more precious wort.

Also, love the idea to catch and grain bits while running off into the BK. I have a HERMS and recirc throughout the mash but a few bits always manage to get through anyway.

Thanks again!
__________________
NC_Brewmaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #1090
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
stonebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: rockville, md
Posts: 836
Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

You might want to contact the vendor and have him make a custom one for your like I did. He is really good about it and bangs them out quick. For 20G you might want to think about an 8" screen, though I think two 6" ones will suffice. And yes, that is exactly how I separate out the break material and it works well for me.

Are you clogging due to the break, the hops, or both? If it is just the break, that seems unusual. However if it is the hops or a combo, this spider will work wonders for ya! I still have a hop stopper (actually a bazooka tube) as well as my two screens. I get very clean wort and have not had any issues with draining the kettle...the bazooka tube actually helps that a little as it bends downward and touches the bottom of the kettle and allows me to suck out a little more precious wort than if I just use the outlet...

Best of luck!

__________________
Preparing: Nada
Fermenting: Zombie Dust Clone
Conditioning: Nada
On tap: Arrogant Bastard Clone, Zombie Dust Clone
Kicked: Heady the Elder, keg 2/2
stonebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! BrewThruYou Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-04-2013 10:59 PM
Cleaning gunk in the bottom of bottles jfr1111 Equipment/Sanitation 4 09-25-2010 02:45 AM
ID this gunk please OregonBrews Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-09-2010 01:10 AM
Better Bottle and blowoff gunk winvarin Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-27-2010 01:28 PM
How much gunk? JerD Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-21-2010 01:33 AM