Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #1051
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Hi all, I'm getting ready to order one of these things for the boil. It will be an 8" diameter filter which will be operating in my pony-keg keggle.

I was wondering if, as peoples' experience has grown, what the current consensus is on the optimum mesh size. Seems like there are both 300 um and 400 um fans on the thread so far. I use an immersion chiller, not a plate chiller, but I'm not totally sure that will always be the case.

So what is working for people? Do the big 300s (not the little 4" ones) clog? And do the 400s let a ton of crap into the kettle? Thanks!

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #1052
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

106 pages, and still no answer on how to control the gunk.

Clue: Leaf hops.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #1053
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 50

If you're looking to filter hop pellets gunk? 400 is plenty small enough for that. No visible hop particiles will be evident outside the mesh, which would lead me to beleive that perhaps it is even too fine.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #1054
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResumeMan
Hi all, I'm getting ready to order one of these things for the boil. It will be an 8" diameter filter which will be operating in my pony-keg keggle. I was wondering if, as peoples' experience has grown, what the current consensus is on the optimum mesh size. Seems like there are both 300 um and 400 um fans on the thread so far. I use an immersion chiller, not a plate chiller, but I'm not totally sure that will always be the case. So what is working for people? Do the big 300s (not the little 4" ones) clog? And do the 400s let a ton of crap into the kettle? Thanks!
I've been using a 300 that's about 6" long in my BK for 6 months or so, about 15 batches w/ no problem. Just clean right away & don't let the hop gunk dry! I also use a 300 in my BB's for dry hopping. Same great results. I got not from Chad & Arbor Fabricating.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #1055
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResumeMan
Hi all, I'm getting ready to order one of these things for the boil. It will be an 8" diameter filter which will be operating in my pony-keg keggle. I was wondering if, as peoples' experience has grown, what the current consensus is on the optimum mesh size. Seems like there are both 300 um and 400 um fans on the thread so far. I use an immersion chiller, not a plate chiller, but I'm not totally sure that will always be the case. So what is working for people? Do the big 300s (not the little 4" ones) clog? And do the 400s let a ton of crap into the kettle? Thanks!
I still prefer the 300 and am now using them on my 3BBL nano. They rock. I am convinced that I get better hop utilization with the larger basket!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #1056
bunt1828
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

marcb, how is your 400 mesh grain basket working? any comments on efficiencies, stuck sparges, or noticeable channeling (if you use a herms or rims system)? I'm about to order one myself and am debating between 300 and 400. I'm worried 300 will let a little too much grain through (especially since I won't be circulating through it for a while until I get everything for a RIMS), but I wanted to make sure 400 isn't too small. What's your take on this?

wobdee, what size mesh is yours? ever have any issues with grain debris getting into the boil? Do you have even temperatures throughout the mash (not hotter around the outside than in the middle..)?

For the record, I also plan to get a hop basket, but am planning on upgrading my kettle at some point so I'm waiting for that to make sure I get the right size. Sounds like 300 is the way to go there, so that'll be my plan.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #1057
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt1828
marcb, how is your 400 mesh grain basket working? any comments on efficiencies, stuck sparges, or noticeable channeling (if you use a herms or rims system)? I'm about to order one myself and am debating between 300 and 400. I'm worried 300 will let a little too much grain through (especially since I won't be circulating through it for a while until I get everything for a RIMS), but I wanted to make sure 400 isn't too small. What's your take on this? wobdee, what size mesh is yours? ever have any issues with grain debris getting into the boil? Do you have even temperatures throughout the mash (not hotter around the outside than in the middle..)? For the record, I also plan to get a hop basket, but am planning on upgrading my kettle at some point so I'm waiting for that to make sure I get the right size. Sounds like 300 is the way to go there, so that'll be my plan.
Hi,

300 micron is finer than 400. My 400 grain basket works awesome and efficiency is great as long as you don't overpack the basket with grain. I continuously recirculate my mash and it works fine. The only stuck sparge issue I had was on a recent pumpkin beer due to the fact that I ignored the rice hulls in the recipe as I though the basket would be fine... It wasn't as the pumpkin coated it and it took forever to drain out. Other brews in it have all gone great. 300 is my goto for the hop basket as it's a little finer and keeps all the gunk out of my plate chiller assembly. Chad (arbor) has now fabricated these for me in a variety of configurations and they have all worked excellent! I even have a small corner one he made for my waste sink in the brewery to keep any stray chunks or grain out of the drain, this works exceptionally well when CIP large fermenters with free dry hops at the bottom.

Marc

Old 10-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #1058
bunt1828
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

oh.. 300 micron, not mesh. big difference. thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #1059
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt1828
marcb, how is your 400 mesh grain basket working? any comments on efficiencies, stuck sparges, or noticeable channeling (if you use a herms or rims system)? I'm about to order one myself and am debating between 300 and 400. I'm worried 300 will let a little too much grain through (especially since I won't be circulating through it for a while until I get everything for a RIMS), but I wanted to make sure 400 isn't too small. What's your take on this?

wobdee, what size mesh is yours? ever have any issues with grain debris getting into the boil? Do you have even temperatures throughout the mash (not hotter around the outside than in the middle..)?

For the record, I also plan to get a hop basket, but am planning on upgrading my kettle at some point so I'm waiting for that to make sure I get the right size. Sounds like 300 is the way to go there, so that'll be my plan.
I have the 400 mesh basket, no issues it works great. I like to recirculate for a bit while bringing up the temp for mash out and it seems to clear the wort a bit. The only thing that gets through is fine flour.

I've done a couple dozen batches and get anywhere from 75-85% efficiency. I seem to get a few more points if I do a little sparge but don't think the extra step is really worth it.

Also use a 300 4x10 hop basket and very pleased with the results.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #1060
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

OK my custom 300 micron basket just arrived! It's 8" diameter to comfortably fit in my 1/4-bbl keggle and hopefully have plenty of space to keep from clogging.

Service was pretty quick. Shipped about a week after order. It was shipped slow boat to China so it took awhile to get here, but not bad overall.

Will unfortunately be a couple weeks till my next brew day, so I guess I will have to wait and stare at it for awhile

fr_489_size1024.jpg   fr_490_size1024.jpg  

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Quick Reply