New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > new system build and need input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
allclene
Beer, What a beautiful thing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default new system build and need input

Ok fellow brewing inthusiasts. I finally decided to get more automated and upgrade to a whole new system. I have a programmable pid and am having a base made now for a 3 keggle cooker side by side style cooking system. I plan on using pumps ect. And automating everything possible on this thing. If any of you have any suggestions it would be appriciated as i finalize my build designs and start assemblying this piece of artwork.

My Automated Rig Forum: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-system-build-need-input-348808/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Although it is enticing to try and automate everything possible in your brewery, I think there is a practical limit. The farther you remove yourself from the process, the more things can go wrong. Don't get me wrong, my brewery is a lot more complicated than most (but not NEARLY as complicated as many that I've seen), but I intentionally left a lot of manual things in both for simplicity and also to make sure I was paying attention during brew day.

Additionally, when you reach a certain point, maintaining your equipment becomes a greater task than actually processing beer through your brewery (brewing, racking, kegging, drinking, etc.). That's where I draw the line. Find your happy medium and choose your automation wisely.

You can check out the Brewer's Reference link below for a detailed look at my brewery.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im thinking it would be wise to keep some things manual. Im thinking of automating temp control for step mashing with a timer and sparging etc. Also anyone have the hookup on some decent quick disconnects, electric solinoids, pumps, and a burner. And if anyone has input on using stainless piping and best way to connect it all together.

My Automated Rig Forum: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-system-build-need-input-348808/

Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
Although it is enticing to try and automate everything possible in your brewery, I think there is a practical limit. The farther you remove yourself from the process, the more things can go wrong. Don't get me wrong, my brewery is a lot more complicated than most (but not NEARLY as complicated as many that I've seen), but I intentionally left a lot of manual things in both for simplicity and also to make sure I was paying attention during brew day.

Additionally, when you reach a certain point, maintaining your equipment becomes a greater task than actually processing beer through your brewery (brewing, racking, kegging, drinking, etc.). That's where I draw the line. Find your happy medium and choose your automation wisely.

You can check out the Brewer's Reference link below for a detailed look at my brewery.
Your link didnt show up. Is your brewery a brutis 10 clone? im kinda leaning that way for this one. Ive hunted through these threads for days now and found all sorts of nice ideas but noone has any detail on parts etc. Hardly. Like where a good place to get thermocouples for the pids?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Try Hands-On Brewing.

The system is a three vessel system with many elements of my own design. Look under the HERMIT Brewery menu item.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Very nice website Dennis

Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update so far.
Have the brutis 10 clone stand being welded together and should have it next week maybe (he kinda slow welder). So far have one pump and am ordering the other two on payday next week. I also have 4 allen bradley pids so am gonna choose which one i'm using for the build.

If anyone needs one and is willing to trade for pumps or other parts let me know. They are all the same have 4 slot chasis with processor, power supply, and 3 input and output modules with the programmer all in a case. I also have some programming software on floppy that i'm gonna transfer to disc.

I got various stainless valves and hose barbs ect. In mail last week. I have decided to somewhat polish my keggles just not to mirror finish I like the brushed stainless look. After I figure out the solder or weld aspect of my fittings on the keggles I'll get that finished here also. Once the frame arrives, I'll start posting pics.

I still could use input on what kind of disconnects, solinoids, counterflow cooler, ect. To use so let me know your thaughts. Please keep in mind I'm on a budget.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor View Post

Checked out your system on your website (nice site by the way) and noticed you said no #@%#%^ barbs! So if no barbs what are you using to connect your tubing?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

here are the plc pics if interested let me know

Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Started the software for this build and here's a screenshot of the front panel of the GUI. The pipes and pumps are blue when not in use and turn yellow when
they are being used. The burners show flames when they are on also. I was told by the welder that my stand will be ready to be picked up on Monday. Woohoo!
I will post a pic of it when I get it. I am also doing a semi polish job on my keggles and will post a pic when they are done. I still need some parts for the gas portion
of this build and some parts for the piping of the keggles.

Quick Reply