Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New to Star San - Please give me warnings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #21
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
I use swing top bottles! Is Star San bad for steel? will it destroy my bales?
Short term exposure should not hurt your steel. I actually leave it in kegs for days, but I have read (ON THE INTERNET, buyer beware) that you should not leave it long term as over a long period of time it could pit the metal. Your bottles should be fine. I routinely soak quick disconnects in it for days with no issues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #22
Husher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Thanks all for the advice. Since I bought 16 oz of it, I think I'll just bake up a gallon of the stuff using one of my kid's old plastic syringes. I shouldn't need more than that if spraying and sloshing. Cheers.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #23
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

tap water, milky as hell immediately and no infections.....

Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #24
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
I use swing top bottles! Is Star San bad for steel? will it destroy my bales?
If you're just sanitizing on bottling day, they won't be exposed long enough to be damaged.

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 09-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #25
Husher
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Here's a new question: Is there any danger if star san reacting with my other cleaners? I use Hydrogen peroxide (one step) and vinegar. For tough stains I will use the hydrogen peroxide (use to be my sanitizer), and rarely I'll use vinegar for crud and blowoff cleanup. I do use these things on different days and rinse thoroughly, but store in the same area (basement). I've assumed they react badly and try to keep apart and I'm just wondering if I'm paranoid.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #26
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
The official answer is that Star San solutions should be clear and a pH below 3.5.

If you used Distilled water the solution would not turn cloudy. The product can react with hard water and turn cloudy. The Minerals in the water can react with the anionic portion of the star san and cause it to go bad. Yes, when this happens you should consider making a fresh solution. The cloudiness usually forms after a dwell time or when people try and store the solution for multiple weeks. If this is the case then, yes always start with a fresh solution.

Jon Herskovits
Five Star
The conventional wisdom is that Star San is good below pH 3.0. Apparently conventional wisdom never read the label.

Phosphoric acid 50%
Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid 20%

The second ingredient is a detergent that reacts with calcium or magnesium to form a cloudy precipitate. This is the ‘slime’ that sometimes forms when people soak stuff long term. It comes from hard water, the vinyl is not dissolving.

No worries about your cleaning products having bad reactions. The one to worry about is to never mix bleach and vinegar directly. A better plan is to avoid using chlorine based cleaners altogether.

Quick Reply