Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New slop sink in basement!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default New slop sink in basement!

Well not new, but newly installed. Last night after work I sweated in the feeds for the sink and fought with the cold feed for some time (just wouldn't drain all the way). Just a little waste pipe work tonight and the sink will be online. I can't wait to have an easy place to soak and wash all my brewing and bottling stuff without tying up the kitchen! I'm so excited, and SWMBO is too, yipeeee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
doubleb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Now you just need a stove down there. Thats what I dream of... a basement with a gas stove and a big sink. If the stove idea is out of reach then there's gotta be someway to do a full wort boil in the basement with something. I can't wait till I have a basement. I took over the 1/2 bathroom on my main level for all my equipment. There is an industrial shelf over the toilet so you can't even see it.

Happy to hear someone's upgrading.

Kegged:Brown Ale
Bottled:

Old 09-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I need to replace my sink. It's trashed and I'm seriously considering one with a garbage disposal. Haven't found one that would work with a disposal, so it would be another DIY.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, when I added my mopsink down in my brewery, it was the best thing I could've done. So great...I keep all the mess outside of the kitchen. I brew outside, ferment in the brewery, clean up in the washroom...and the wife's happy.

I wouldn't want a stove inside, though. Even the nicest gas ranges can't hold a candle (no pun intended) to your basic turkey fryer burner.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
JoeRags
Recipes 

Just installed one in the new house as well... Brewing will commence in the garage, but fermenting and bottling will take place in the basement.

Man... I need to finish all these friggin house projects so I can finish building the 20 gallon sculpture...

Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in process of adding counterspace, double utility sink and lagering freezer to my storage room in the basement.

In regards to indoor boils...... Would a bathroom exhaust fan in the storage room with an open window in the basement be enough to keep from killing myself if I were to use propane indoors. I'm assuming the heat the burner puts out would more than offset the cold air the window lets in.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Basement boils?

Ask BierMuncher...

Old 09-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
JoeRags
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link
I'm in process of adding counterspace, double utility sink and lagering freezer to my storage room in the basement.

In regards to indoor boils...... Would a bathroom exhaust fan in the storage room with an open window in the basement be enough to keep from killing myself if I were to use propane indoors. I'm assuming the heat the burner puts out would more than offset the cold air the window lets in.

Any thoughts?

The main concern is the amount of air required for combustion. Lets say you've got a monster 300,000 btu burner in your basement. You are doing an AG batch with maybe one or two small basement windows open. You'd need to do some calculations, but the bottom line is if you dont have enough supply air. The burner will pull the extra air it needs from wherever it can.... for example - your furnace flue. You've now got a backdraft down your chimney, pulling in the carbon monoxide from the furnace.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

doesn't sound like fun. Its a valiant way to go, brewing, but just not worth it.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
david_the_greek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

set up an electrical element and get yourself a good air hood. This right here is very similar to my dream http://tophatbrewery.com/ . I'm guessing he's a member here. Which one of you lucky SOB's is this!!??

Quick Reply