Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New Replacement for March Pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #491
Islandboy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
First thing that I did with mine was take the whole head assembly apart and checked all clearances and tolerances and so far I haven't had an issue. I did have to adjust the magnet.
What did you do to the magnet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #492
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The main thing when adjusting the magnet is to make sure that there is clearance between the magnet and the rear housing and that it is close enough. I made sure that I had about 1 - 1-1/2 mm of clearance and the magnet turned freely.

I hope that helps but I know it sounds vague too.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #493
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Did you shim the magnet with washers? If I get time tonight I think I'm going to move the thermometer to the outlet side of the pump from the inlet. It may be what is causing the cavitation.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #494
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy85 View Post
Did you shim the magnet with washers? If I get time tonight I think I'm going to move the thermometer to the outlet side of the pump from the inlet. It may be what is causing the cavitation.
If the toolbox side is tapered correct the thickness with thin washers to keep the pump head in line with the motor.
If your rubbing with the pump head screwed directly to the motor connecting adapter then you need to loosen the set screw and slide the drive magnet closer to the motor. Depending on how much motor shaft end play this also must be added.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #495
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Joe:

no idea what you did ...but I have no problem sending youa new one free of charge ....WE WANT ALL OF OUR CUSTOMERS HAPPY !!!...CALL ME GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS I WIL SEND TODAY

Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #496
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

On my Chugger pump I rotated the end cover to the next set of mounting holes and noticed a .012" to .015" out of concenteric to the impeller magnet.
The pump body impeller post is not concentric to the pump machined housing.
The end cover must be indexed and assembled in the best position to be concentric or near as can be without any rubbing problems. Using a March plastic head everything is concentric no rubbing problems.
If your going to "chit can" your stainless pump head for a March replacement head can I have first dibs?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #497
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

YO...email me I will hook you up ...mike@caringi.com

Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #498
chuggerpumps
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

I would really like to see it ....you can drop it at any UPS store ..I will give you my UPS NUMBER to ship collect ..call me for it

If your not interested thats fine but as I said we strive to make everyone happy ..no matter what ...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #499
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, I wanted to be sure it wasn't my fault that the pump was cavitating. I moved my inline thermometer to the output side. This solved about 90 percent of the problems I had last week brewing. The other 10 percent may be attributed to bumping things, crappy priming, stepping on hoses, or whatever clutsy thing I did today. I didn't check pump housing or magnet for freeplay yet. After I brewed I did a little test while circulating some PBW through everything. I had the pump running wide open and had awesome flow at 8 feet off the ground in my bathroom. That's plenty high for me.

So, I just want to say that the pump isn't as bad as I previously thought. The USA Pump guys are very quick to respond to any e-mails and e-bay questions. They're quite willing to help you out. Very impressive. I'll let you know if there is any other issues.

Quick Reply