Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   New Pump, needing to upgrade tubing/connections (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-pump-needing-upgrade-tubing-connections-346989/)

Perkt 08-11-2012 08:09 AM

New Pump, needing to upgrade tubing/connections
I'm looking for suggestions, tips, or any experience people may have with changing over the tubing on their system. I still haven't purchased a structure, but did pick up a march pump and am looking at the new expense of connecting the MT/HLT/Kettle to the device...all SS, needing 2 ball valves, a 3 way T split (as to allow for a bleed valve), but the big question comes in barb vs QD. I brewed with a buddy and loved his QD system, seems an easier way to keep things clean and concise. I'm currently using 3/8" vinyl tubing and am not a huge fan...I've read other threads mentioning Silicone tubing and figure if I'm going to replace the tubing I'd step up to 1/2" rather than the 3/8", which means replacing the barbs on my kettle and mash tun.

Anyone with information on the set up, and if you've made the purchase and could give a quick rundown on the connections necessary, I'd really appreciate it as just trying to think it through is making my head spin.

Was thinking something like:
1/2" NPT tee (from OUT on the pump)
1/2" threaded nipple x2 (each of the 2 connections left on the tee)
1/2" ball valve x2 (for each nipple)
1/2" barb to female QD x4 (for each side of the tubing) with clamps
1/2" male threaded to male QD x5 (2 for pump, 1 MT, 1 recirc arm, 1 kettle)
6' silicone tubing x2

I'm certain something more is going to be needed, would hate to get an order in just to have to turn around and place another. Any advice on the set up is very appreciated!

BargainFittings 08-11-2012 01:20 PM

Is you inlet male or female threaded? If its male then you need a 1/2" Female x male QD

To keep your sanity, draw a quick diagram of your setup or future setup and number each connection and write it all down.

wolfman_48442 08-11-2012 05:13 PM

I used camlocks on everything, and I'm pretty happy with them.
For vessel outputs (after the ball valve of course), I use a type F.
For the pump input, type A. Output is ball valve and type F again.
Hoses I use a type D with a 5/8 high flow barb on each end. These are not necessary, but make me feel better that I'm getting 1//2 flow throughout the system :)
I have never had any problems with priming my pumps so I don't see the need for a t and bleeder setup, but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

Perkt 08-11-2012 05:47 PM

I was looking at the camlocks as well, thanks for the input, sounds like it may actually simplify things.
As for the pump, it's male in and male out (March pump 809), so a female NPT on either side, ball valve coming off the out port, so long as there isn't a problem priming then I suppose there's no need for the extra tee, ball valve and further tubing. Also glad to have feedback from bargainfittings, as that's where I'm looking to order from!

will mock up the system tonight and go from one port to the next, making sure that all connections are documented and should be operational.

Just looking over the locks, does type D articulate with type F? I was thinking of F going on the pump out/vessels as previously mentioned with type D on the hoses, but then not clear if an intermediate is needed to work as an adapter between the two.

BargainFittings 08-11-2012 06:20 PM

The B, C, D, and dust caps connect to the A, F, E and dust plugs.

If you use a D with your hoses you will need a hose barb. As was suggested, the 5/8" hose barbs with a D is a way to maximize flow through the camlocks.

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.