HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New Kettle question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
FrizzleFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Kettle question

Hiya folks,
I am a relative newb brewer, been doing it for about a year mostly partial mash, and I am ready to step up to all grain. I have just acquired an Igloo 10 gal beverage cooler, a stainless valve and bazooka tube.
My question is, what pot (size etc.) should I get to go with it? I guess the parameters are, not so small that I can't make full use of the cooler, and not so big that the cooler isn't big enough (and I don't go broke buying the kettle). More info: I have a couple of primary fermenters, one that can handle a max of about 5.5 gal and the other probably 6 or 6.5 gal. I would like to be able to make a 6 gallon batch of barleywine, or maybe use both fermenters to make 10-12 gal of something less big.
I have tools and am pretty good at tinkering, so whatever pot I get I can handle installation of valves & such, but don't currently own a cutting torch.
Any advice is appreciated.

*edit: ok, from reading other posts, and looking at the available profiles in BeerSmith it is looking like 15 gal may be the correct size. Let me know if I am wrong, and any info on good deals going on right now would be helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 706

My best advice is buy the biggest pot you can comfortably afford and be able to get to a boil. (Within reason of course....no 15,000 gallon bohemoth!). You won't regret it.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Copperpots_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on Hammy. I started AG brewing with a 40qt (10gal) pot that I picked up for about $70 at a restaurant supple place. It's great for 6gal batches. I'm beginning to build a 3 keggle brew stand, and you could make a keggle quite easily. If you look/ call around, you can find an old 15.5 gal keg for about $30. Then just cut the top off (you can use an angle grinder) and pop a valve in there and you're set for 10 gal batches, assuming your mash tun is big enough. Look up videos on keggle conversions.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
OneHoppyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I've always used a 15 gallon kettle for 5 and 10 gallon batches. You just have to be carful with the latter.
Compare our prices before you buy...

Quick Reply