Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New to Keggles.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
NCGrayson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default New to Keggles.....

Greetings All,

I have done a few extract brews inside on the stove with partial boils, and now am in the process of making building a solid keggle to move outdoors. I already have the keg, disassembled, and cut the top open. My big question involves draining. I'm pretty clueless as to what would be the best for my situation. I really would love to go all grain one day, but for the time being and the foreseeable future, i really see myself sticking with extract kits. Can anyone recommend the most logical solution for a pickup tube and a weldless bulkhead kit for me from bargain fittings? I'll be chilling with a 50ft copper 3/8" IC if that makes any difference...

Weldless Bulkhead Kits....which one?

1. http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=46
2. http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=178

Which pickup tube?

1. Whirlpool
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=151
2. Center
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=94
3. Side
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=157

I see benefits for all the pickup tubes....just can't decide which one will generally be the best for me. Any help from you seasoned guru's?!?!?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Copperpots_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made my own pickup tube, just using 3/8 copper tubing. If you have some basic soldering skills you can do it for less than $10. Someone has mentioned to me that they would recommend using half-inch but I just haven't gotten to that point yet. I welded my couplings and so I can't comment on which weldless is the best. But I bought my couplings and ball valves from Bobby M. All you would need to do is spend $40 to get a cooler to convert to a mash tun and you're ready for all grain! Here is a picture of what my pick up tube looks like.

image-806710604.jpg

Over time you can acquire more keggles and add extra components to them. I would definitely recommend a sight glass and a thermometer, then you can work on building a pretty bad ass system!

image-1549970540.jpg

Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
d_striker
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperpots_Brewing View Post
I made my own pickup tube, just using 3/8 copper tubing. If you have some basic soldering skills you can do it for less than $10. Someone has mentioned to me that they would recommend using half-inch but I just haven't gotten to that point yet. I welded my couplings and so I can't comment on which weldless is the best. But I bought my couplings and ball valves from Bobby M. All you would need to do is spend $40 to get a cooler to convert to a mash tun and you're ready for all grain! Here is a picture of what my pick up tube looks like.

Attachment 65301

Over time you can acquire more keggles and add extra components to them. I would definitely recommend a sight glass and a thermometer, then you can work on building a pretty bad ass system!

Attachment 65303
Those keggles are rad. Where's the step by step writeup???

Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

on a side note....forgive the ignorance of this next question, but how does a keggle drain exactly? if i have a pickup tube pointing down, logically, beer isn't just going to flow out of a ball valve once opened it is ? I'm going to have to start some sort of a siphon? Will simply opening the ball valve start the siphon i need to drain the keg?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrayson
on a side note....forgive the ignorance of this next question, but how does a keggle drain exactly? if i have a pickup tube pointing down, logically, beer isn't just going to flow out of a ball valve once opened it is ? I'm going to have to start some sort of a siphon? Will simply opening the ball valve start the siphon i need to drain the keg?
Yup. When u have the pick up tube and open the valve it creates a siphon ..... just make sure u have a 2foot or so. Hose coming off a barbed nipple from the valve and make sure to keep the keggle above the fermenter . Just like when you bottle.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrayson View Post

Some systems use gravity like the three tier setup:

gravity-set-up.jpg

or some use food grade pumps to move the liquids:

basic-brutus-10.jpg

Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Don't count me out. www.stainlessbrewing.com

Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

what's the difference between the new and the old weldless bulkhead fittings?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrayson View Post
what's the difference between the new and the old weldless bulkhead fittings?
Nothing really new about a bulkead fitting, just not what you normally see being used. The Coupling, Nipple, Locknut, washer setup is a several piece design used to act like a bulkhead fitting at a low cost.

Quick Reply