Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > new keggle question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
fins2rit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default new keggle question

ok my friend has a buddy who is willing to cut my keg top off with a plasma cutter and weld on my coupling for the spigot. What else should I do to the keg? Put in a coupling for a thermostat or a site glass so I know how much I have in the keggle?
also how high off the bottom for a thermestat

Primary-- Crystal pal ale
Secondary -Sudel's IPA
Secondary - Empty
Keg-1 Empty
Keg-2 Empty
keg-3 empty
keg-4 empty
keg-5 empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I have 2 in mine - one for transfer and one for a site tube. You can share one port of you want a site tube and a thermometer, but I never really had a need to know the temp. It's either boiling or not boiling.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
fins2rit

Recipes 

good point about the boiling.. i will go with the site tube

Secondary -Sudel's IPA
Secondary - Empty
Keg-1 Empty
Keg-2 Empty
keg-3 empty
keg-4 empty
keg-5 empty

Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

The only reason you might want a coupling for a thermometer is if you use an IC and want an external reading to know when you've cooled enough.

I've got a thermosight (see mod here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28815) in both my MLT and HLT, but just a valve and siphon tube in the boil kettle. I guess the sight glass might be helpful, but I haven't had any problems getting really close on my final volumes based on beersmith calculations.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's easier to add an extra coupling now while he's already welding. I'd put 3 in. Drain bulkhead, thermo, site glass. Sure you can use fittings to double up the drain and site glass, but it does protrude pretty far then. Putting the site glass on your drain causes a siphon break unless you remember to plug up the top of the tube. If you want a site glass at all, a dedicated coupling is ideal. You can use a half coupling for the site/thermo but make sure you use a regular one for the drain. I'd put the drain 1" above the skirt weld, the site glass same height but rotated around a few inches, and the thermo about 4" above that.

Site glasses are nice luxuries on the HLT for measure dough-in dispensing into the MLT. On the BK, it tells you the volume of your first runnings and then later your boil (and boil off) volumes. No need on the MLT. I want to integrate them on mine because the only other way to know the volumes is to drain off into a graduated bucket.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
fins2rit

Recipes 

Thanks Bobby
I just watched your video and it was great.. and thanks for the advise on the height that was going to be my next question....

Secondary -Sudel's IPA
Secondary - Empty
Keg-1 Empty
Keg-2 Empty
keg-3 empty
keg-4 empty
keg-5 empty

Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Site glasses are nice luxuries on the HLT for measure dough-in dispensing into the MLT. On the BK, it tells you the volume of your first runnings and then later your boil (and boil off) volumes. No need on the MLT. I want to integrate them on mine because the only other way to know the volumes is to drain off into a graduated bucket.
I disagree on the use of a sight glass on a MLT. I use one on my MLT to measure strike water. I heat the strike water in the MLT, and it's nice to be able to add the water from a hose once it's already set up. Sure I could measure in a separate bucket, lift it up, and dump it in, but now I don't have to. I definately wanted the fitting for a digital probe thermometer. The thermosight only requires a single fitting, so it wasn't really any more work.

I think heating the strike water in a keg MLT is important. Otherwise it would much harder to maintain temps if you heat it in the HLT and transfer to the MLT.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A sight glass is nice to have on a HLT and MT but Im not sure I would want one on the boil pot. If something happend to it while boiling it would be tough to plug. If you want to know the volume in the pot use a stick with gallon markings.

Where did this word keggle come from? I keep thinking of the womens excersize to tighten things up. Since my pots are made from pool filters should I call them POOGLES?!?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash
Where did this word keggle come from? I keep thinking of the womens excersize to tighten things up. Since my pots are made from pool filters should I call them POOGLES?!?
I think it's a combination of "Keg" and "Kettle"

"Keezer" is starting to get on my nerves...
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
fins2rit

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash
A sight glass is nice to have on a HLT and MT but Im not sure I would want one on the boil pot. If something happend to it while boiling it would be tough to plug. If you want to know the volume in the pot use a stick with gallon markings.

Holy sh#$ Monster I just looked at your pictures and what a nice setup... man how often do you brew.... I can only dream.....

Secondary -Sudel's IPA
Secondary - Empty
Keg-1 Empty
Keg-2 Empty
keg-3 empty
keg-4 empty
keg-5 empty

Quick Reply