New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New drill good for barley crusher?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
skeeordye11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New drill good for barley crusher?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_242197-79992-DR250B++1_4294857546_4294937087_?productId=3117003 &Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantit y_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Corded%2BDrills_429 4857546_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_n br%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1%26Va%3Dtru e#prod-tabs

I just bought this drill to use with my barley crusher since my cordless couldn't even get through one 5 gal batch of grain. I am mechanically challenged, so I have no idea if this will work or not. I'm hoping that someone out there with more knowledge can chime in and tell me if I'm gonna break this thing this weekend when I'm trying to grind a 10 gal batch worth of grain. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1664 Times on 1209 Posts
Likes Given: 943

Wow. Check out the ratings by people who have already purchased! I'd be scared based on that alone!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I saw that. Unfortunately after I bought it. I did get the year extended warranty just in case I do burn it up. Just wanted some informed advice. I don't know what kind of stress running a barley crusher puts on a drill.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
jerryalan
Recipes 

If it's not too late, return it and get this drill while it's on sale for $12 off: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drills/1-2-half-inch-variable-speed-reversible-d-handle-drill-47991.html

Tapped - IPA
Tapped - Dunkelweizen
Tapped - Air
Bottled - Robust Coffee Porter
Fermenting - Blonde Ale
On Deck - Not sure yet
Current Project - Electric Brewing

Old 09-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Hmm, not too sure. I ended up buying a heavy duty low speed drill. Since its from Harbor Freight, I'm not too sure how "heavy duty" it is, but I haven't burnt it up yet. The basic idea is that you want a drill with enough torque at the low speeds to crush grain.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
surreal_trip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Hmm, not too sure. I ended up buying a heavy duty low speed drill. Since its from Harbor Freight, I'm not too sure how "heavy duty" it is, but I haven't burnt it up yet. The basic idea is that you want a drill with enough torque at the low speeds to crush grain.
High torque low speed is a must... anything that would be used to mix mortar and grout and the like would be what you are looking for.

If I get another assisted living facility email, I'm going to hunt all you down, kill you one by one and then worry about the consequences. - shecky

Old 09-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The part I don't like is on the LOWES site it shows that it does NOT have a UL rating. I didn't think anything electric could be sold with out that rating. Anyway, I would not go near it. If I got one as a gift I would RUN not walk to my nearest LOWES and get it exchanged.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And this is why I love this site. There's always someone that knows more than you about something. I don't even know what that last post meant, but I did find a harbor freight down the road from my office and I will be stopping there soon. It's not in the best part of town, but I'll just put on my bullet proof vest and soldier on. All in the pursuit of making better beer! Or maybe just so I don't have to hand crack 20# of grain again. Thanks everybody.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeordye11 View Post
And this is why I love this site. There's always someone that knows more than you about something. I don't even know what that last post meant, but I did find a harbor freight down the road from my office and I will be stopping there soon. It's not in the best part of town, but I'll just put on my bullet proof vest and soldier on. All in the pursuit of making better beer! Or maybe just so I don't have to hand crack 20# of grain again. Thanks everybody.
I am surprised also. I would have never thought there was ANYBODY on this site who didn't know what the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) rating was all about.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I work in healthcare. About the farthest you can get from IT, engineering or mechanics which most homebrewers are (at least in my experience). I don't own a home or have any clue when it comes to electronics in the least bit. At least how they work. Case in point why I won't be building that electric HERMS rig anytime soon. Thanks for the help just the same.

Quick Reply