Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New to brewing, whats the best cheap way to cool wort after ur boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
mattsmitty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default New to brewing, whats the best cheap way to cool wort after ur boil?

Hey guys, im new to the brew world. Im gonna be doing my first extract brew this weekend. Right now all i have is my boil kettle, burner, fermantor, air lock and all my ingredients. I feel like i have everything i need except a chiller. Are there any fairly cheap ways to make a chiller? Ive heard of doing an ice bath but is that quick enough?? i went to lowes yesterday and 50ft of flexible copper is 60 bucks so thats a lil out of budget right now. Anyways to make something for around 30 bucks or so??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I used the 25ft length of copper cool from lowes, some hose clamps, vinyl hose and a female hose end and you are all set. Probably be into if for $40 by the time you are done but it all depends on what you have laying around the house for the supplies. This wort chiller does my eleven gallon batches just fine, works great for anything smaller too of course.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
mattsmitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, thanks. i think they had some 3/8 copper 25ft for around 30 bucks, wasn't sure if that would be enough. but sounds like it should work just fine. Ill give it a shot.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Rugrad02
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I did the exact thing that Drawdy did. When I got into brewing, finding a commercially made chiller was darned near impossible. So, I made my own. I used a washing machine hose for the female end (attached to hose spigot or sink faucet) and for the water out, I just used a few feet of vinyl tubing. Be sure to hose clamp all hoses that will attach to the copper. Also, take your time working the copper. Too much bend may weaken the copper. Cheers!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 85

When you're getting started, if you've got a sink that's big enough to do the job, an ice bath is perfectly acceptable. You just have to be willing to stir your cooling wort and careful not to let any outside fluids drip or splash into your wort.

I used to cool my full 7 gallon kettle this way, in the utility sink in my basement. I'd put the pot in the sink, then fill the sink with cold water up to the level of the wort. Stir for a while, until the wort hits around 150F. Drain the now warm water, refill with cold water and repeat, this time until the wort hits around 100F. Then you add ice and cold water and chill down to pitching temps. This usually got me to pitching temps in 20-30 minutes. Sure, it was a little work, but it saved me the cost of a half-way chiller until I could afford to go with a full-blown chiller the way I wanted to.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

+1 on what Stratslinger said. Right on the money.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 414 Posts

Water bath, then ice bath will work fine... Be patient and RDWHAHB.

Could also "no chill" in the kettle

Old 07-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
mattsmitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok guys, just got home from lowes! now my question is what to use as a guide as i wrap my piping. Is a paint can good or should it be something wider?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmitty View Post
ok guys, just got home from lowes! now my question is what to use as a guide as i wrap my piping. Is a paint can good or should it be something wider?
Something anything...a couple few inches smaller than your kettle. Paint can will likely work well, perhaps something a little larger??? Think ahead and bend it once, the copper work hardens and doesn't like repeated abuse...just alter the coil you already have, DO NOT try and straighen it out prior to trying to coil it...just tighten or adjust the coil you have gently.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Old 07-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #10
n240sxguy
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 65 Posts

When I made my immersion chiller, I just rolled the coil tighter by hand. Follow the size of the first loop you make, and it'll look just fine.

Quick Reply