Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New Brew Pot - What Should I get

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
HoppyMaltPoet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New Brew Pot - What Should I get

So I am finally going to be able to get a good brew pot for myself. I need to know what to get. I know this has probably been beaten to death out there but figured I would start another thread to get some feedback.

I am thinking about getting the Blichmann Boilermaker 10gal. But I have some concerns with this.
1) I don't think I am going to need the thermometer in a boil kettle
2) I don't think the sight glass is going to benefit be in a boil kettle and from what I read is just a PITA because it needs to be cleaned
3) Not great with using hop pellets - I believe that there the hopblocker is out now that might not make this an issue.

There is one caveat to all this though. Right now I do my AG brewing in a split pot on my stove. So when I get this kettle I will not have a HLT. I currently have a 10gal Rubbermaid Mash Tun. If I use the kettle as a HLT instead I will probably want the site glass and thermometer on the pot. Maybe I can use as both a HLT and a boil kettle? But then I would need an intermediary vessel to collect runnings during sparge.

How do others tackle this? Let's assume I do not have the capital to invest in 2 10 gallon pots (which of course I do not).

Also, If there are suggestions on other pots I should be looking at, let me know. Maybe the Blichmann is not worth it for the setup I currently have.

Last edited by HoppyMaltPoet; 08-09-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It pretty much boils down to personal preference and your budget. If you think you are going to ever do 10 gallon batches get a 15 gallon pot. If you are sure you are just going to stick to 5 gallon batches get a 10 gallon pot.

Your main choices are;
- Blichmann
- Polar Ware
- Mega Pots
- Keggle
- Economy pot like an Update International.

Whatever you pick I would say that a valve would be important - whether it comes with one or if you put one in yourself.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are also our line of Heavy Duty Kettles, so don't forget those (http://morebeer.com/search/102208/be...ettles_Burners)

You are on the right track, I think, with not needing a therm or sight glass on your boil kettle.

If you have split batches between two boil kettles and your new kettle will be used for a boil, then don't you have two kettles still to use as HLT's? How are you doing the HLT now? Sorry if I missed that part.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I vote for a keggle. Simple, sturdy, inexpensive.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
I vote for a keggle. Simple, sturdy, inexpensive
Converted kegs are very heavy, cumbersome and generally ugly. The bottoms are not flat which results in poor heat distribution. The skirt retains heat long after flame out which can inhibit cooling. I have one, but would much prefer a 60 qt SS kettle. These issues are much less important when using a keg as a boil kettle than as a mash tun.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
HoppyMaltPoet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
If you have split batches between two boil kettles and your new kettle will be used for a boil, then don't you have two kettles still to use as HLT's? How are you doing the HLT now? Sorry if I missed that part.
I heat the water in one of my 2 4 gallon pots, use it for mashing session, then fill both pots and heat for sparging. I empty my mash tun into a fermenting bucket. by this time my pots are now empty. Then I transfer (by tediously ladling), back into the original boil pots. I think I may have to continue using my bottling bucket if I want to use a single vessel for HLT and BK.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
HoppyMaltPoet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Bigelow View Post
It pretty much boils down to personal preference and your budget. If you think you are going to ever do 10 gallon batches get a 15 gallon pot. If you are sure you are just going to stick to 5 gallon batches get a 10 gallon pot.

Your main choices are;
- Blichmann
- Polar Ware
- Mega Pots
- Keggle
- Economy pot like an Update International.

Whatever you pick I would say that a valve would be important - whether it comes with one or if you put one in yourself.
I was thinking about a 15gal to do 10 gal batches in case I ever want to. Right now I only do 5gal, but I have been thinking about 10gal. I would need to upgrade my equipment though if I went this route.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have both a Polarware pot and a coverted keg. As soon as I can get rid of the keg I will. Just my preference because of the weight and is not as efficent as my pot. I bought a 10 gal pot and then decided to increase volume. Wish it were a 20gal pot. Think of your brewing future before you buy. I think a valve is a must. I never wished I had a sight tube, but couldn't do with out my valve. ust my $.02

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyMaltPoet View Post
I was thinking about a 15gal to do 10 gal batches in case I ever want to. Right now I only do 5gal, but I have been thinking about 10gal. I would need to upgrade my equipment though if I went this route.
Missed this, yip you are on the right track by thinking of the future.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
sithspitt
Recipes 

I really like my Blichmann Boilermaker. I comes apart completely very easily for cleaning.

Quick Reply