Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New additions to my brewery... (couple kegs and a burner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
TheFlyingBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default New additions to my brewery... (couple kegs and a burner)

Spent the last few hours of what seems to be my only day off working on my newest additions to my brewing equipment. I picked up a couple of 1/2 barrel kegs from Craigslist for $20/each and got to work sanding and cutting them both. Both were in pretty good shape with only the expected scratches and light dents. Along with the kegs I used a giftcard I have had laying around for a while to purchase a Bayou Classic burner from the Home Depot. Check out pictures below.

The keg on the left is for the most part untouched (removed the colored stripes), while the keg on the left has had its first encounter with the orbital sander.

A shot of the holes cut in the tops of each keg. I cut the keg on the left first and learned a few lessons from it before cutting the second one with a larger opening.

New burner I picked up from Home Depot, cost about $47 or so after taxes and brought 5 gallons of water to boil in about 15 mins (lid off) during my first test.

I can't wait to put these new additions to use, time to go decide what style beer I want to brew next... might have to have a double brew day soon. I will most likely be giving the keg with the smaller opening up top to a friend and keep the other for myself. Just need to add a few tabs to the lids so they can be used during brewing.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Last edited by TheFlyingBeer; 08-06-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Looks good.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I hate you, ok, not really. Very nice additions, I'm jealous. How come I can never find cool stuff to brew with? Never any good burners or kegs to be picked up.....

I'm back!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sweet, now don't forget the ball valve, thermometer, and s sightglass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402
sweet, now don't forget the ball valve, thermometer, and s sightglass.
Well here is the deal, I am looking to add what you just mentioned... but I don't have access to welding equipment atm. Eventually I would like to weld a coupler in place but for now I need to go weldless. Just haven't had the time to piece together the equipment. What I am looking for is a weldless setup that would use the same diameter hole in the bottom of the keg so eventually I could go welded. Any ideas on parts?

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
Well here is the deal, I am looking to add what you just mentioned... but I don't have access to welding equipment atm. Eventually I would like to weld a coupler in place but for now I need to go weldless. Just haven't had the time to piece together the equipment. What I am looking for is a weldless setup that would use the same diameter hole in the bottom of the keg so eventually I could go welded. Any ideas on parts?
Do you know someone who can spend 20 mins to do the weld for you? Or, start looking in the yellow pages, it really can't be that much. Whatever size you pick for weldless, you can do for welded.....remember, the tig or the mig can do anything, so you should be more concerned about weldless IMH(drunk)O

I'm back!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
AGBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Weldless fittings typically use a 7/8 hole for a 1/2" coupler. The 1/2" couplers that I have welded in are 1 1/16" holes. So when you decide to go welded just up the size. Piece of cake

Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have all weldless, even though I work in a die shop and could just get it welded here or even do it myself for free.
But I'm lazy and don't feel like welding it. So, I went to weldless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Figured I would pick myself up a setup off this site. Then I should be able to weld it in when I get back to school and have a workshop available once again. The prices are right so I don't feel to bad buying a bit of extra hardware.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
Moonpile

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
Figured I would pick myself up a setup off this site. Then I should be able to weld it in when I get back to school and have a workshop available once again. The prices are right so I don't feel to bad buying a bit of extra hardware.
Wow, any idea why they're over $10 cheaper than NB for the same spigot kit?

Quick Reply